Selling my dead SF

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Sorry to hear that. My '12 lunched the rod bearing last year and did the same thing as yours. Bill helped me out on repairing the cylinder and I replaced the crank and essentially did the same mods as your engine- she has been purring for about 5k miles so far and she runs like a scalded dog. Good luck with the new ride.
Interesting... When I replaced the head with the modded one and cams, I inspected the bore and piston and they were perfect after 1500 miles. A few hundred more and they are trashed. Do you and Bill agree that the failure of your rod bearing led to the failure of your piston and cylinder?

I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I'm cashing out, but it's always nice to know why things happen. What did repairing the big end bearing entail?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Will a gen 1 engine bolt up in this frame? I have a Gen 1 with less than 1000 miles on it, but it is from Guam and I can not get a title for it!
If my motor will work, I may be interested.

Bundy

Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mxbundy
Will a gen 1 engine bolt up in this frame? I have a Gen 1 with less than 1000 miles on it, but it is from Guam and I can not get a title for it!

Bundy
As far as I know, the engines are identical. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kawasaki KLX250S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-20-2015, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Interested

would you be willing to haul it to Atlanta? I'm in FL but I would meet you there.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lj-rubi
would you be willing to haul it to Atlanta? I'm in FL but I would meet you there.
Sent you a PM

Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Broussard
As far as I know, the engines are identical. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Kawasaki KLX250S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PM sent!

Thanks

Old 05-20-2015, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mxbundy

Bundy
There are some differences in the wiring connections between the engine and frame harnesses, IIRC

Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sold

Bike is sold.

Thanks everybody for all the info on the forum here. Enjoy the ride!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Broussard
Interesting... When I replaced the head with the modded one and cams, I inspected the bore and piston and they were perfect after 1500 miles. A few hundred more and they are trashed. Do you and Bill agree that the failure of your rod bearing led to the failure of your piston and cylinder?

I guess it doesn't really matter to me since I'm cashing out, but it's always nice to know why things happen. What did repairing the big end bearing entail?
When the bearing fails you get a lot of metal floating in the oil and since the piston is splash lubricated it's washed down with a nice soup of grinding compound-explains why the bore is trashed. The only way to repair the rod bearing is replacing the crank-no aftermarket parts will interchange.
I have over a year on it since the rebuild and it has been flawless. Bill was very helpful and he sources quality parts-the only thing that I wish he would consider changing would be to use a dry film coating on the piston skirt to help with longevity. It's a pretty big slug with a fairly short skirt so thrust loads could use any help they can get.