Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

In my opinion, your best safety bang for the buck is a bright PULSING LED brake light, a properly aimed HID headlight (just don't pick one of the annoyingly blue high color temp ones, lower color temps are better for your vision at night anyways), and good brightly colored riding gear. All of these will make you stand out in traffic or poor lighting situations.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
In my opinion, your best safety bang for the buck is a bright PULSING LED brake light, a properly aimed HID headlight (just don't pick one of the annoyingly blue high color temp ones, lower color temps are better for your vision at night anyways), and good brightly colored riding gear. All of these will make you stand out in traffic or poor lighting situations.
Are there good or better HID kits that will work for the first gen KLX?

Here is my tail/brake light thoughts:
The WOW Kit! LED Tail Light - KLR650 (all years) - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Are there good or better HID kits that will work for the first gen KLX?
[/url]
I tried an el-cheapo Chinese "universal" kit in my KLX, but it flaked out on my first commute so I junked it. I don't commute on the KLX anymore so it's headlight is back to stock and staying that way. Be careful of kits that have TONS of extra wiring and large ballasts, there's very little space to work with on that bike.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
(Kinda how I feel about ABS brakes and seat belts, but that's another post...)
dont forget traction control, electronic stability control, and the others....

Old 03-27-2012, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Maybe I should have just asked to show the lights without all the extra.

Ok start over, show me your upgraded lights front and rear and signals.
I would not suggest getting the Trailtech X2 HID. I have the Trailtech X2 Halogen and it is bright enough as is. I keep the rocker switch which controls the high/low beams in the middle which in turn keeps both lights on at all times. I think the distinct appearance of the small and large light along with my built in super bright LED turn signals built into my hand guards helps improve my visibility to other drivers during night time hours.

Another reason not to get the HID set up is that it is not designed for on road usage. There is no blocking plate from keeping the light from shining up which means that the light will almost always blind oncoming drivers.

Scott (IDRIDR) also has the same X2 light that I have and I think he would agree that it is plenty bright.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

put some LED's on my KLR

Name:  2012-02-01_18-54-17_31.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  56.6 KB

Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I would not suggest getting the Trailtech X2 HID. I have the Trailtech X2 Halogen and it is bright enough as is. I keep the rocker switch which controls the high/low beams in the middle which in turn keeps both lights on at all times. I think the distinct appearance of the small and large light along with my built in super bright LED turn signals built into my hand guards helps improve my visibility to other drivers during night time hours.

Another reason not to get the HID set up is that it is not designed for on road usage. There is no blocking plate from keeping the light from shining up which means that the light will almost always blind oncoming drivers.

Scott (IDRIDR) also has the same X2 light that I have and I think he would agree that it is plenty bright.
Is your bike first or second gen? Is the rocker designed with a middle stop like you use it? I had an old toyota that I used to be able to do that

What turn signals do you have?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
dont forget traction control, electronic stability control, and the others....
You CANNOT mass produce driving technique. It is a violation of the Darwin Theorem.

LOL; OMG.....

Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Is your bike first or second gen? Is the rocker designed with a middle stop like you use it? I had an old toyota that I used to be able to do that

What turn signals do you have?
First gen (06 klx250 - same as yours ) The rocker switch is not designed to do that, but it stays perfectly.

I have these:

Tusk D-Flex Handguards with Turn Signals | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I love them. They make the front of the bike look absolutely mean and also offer a reddish tint to the blinking LED turn signals instead of the traditional orange. I can't complain at all. If you want people to notice you, you try appear as abnormal as possible. Having the turn signals built into the hand guards works well for this. Couple them with the stock turn signals and you stick out like a sore thumb while still holding onto the mean luster of the front end of the bike. Let me find you a picture.

By the way, very easy install.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Name:  WQNfw.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  667.6 KB

Quick Reply: Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off