Rough day in the mud.....I suck

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rough day in the mud.....

So I tossed on with a buddy that was riding at a local OHV park this weekend. Sure we have gotten a little bit of rain on Thursday and Friday, but I thought by Sunday it would be wet, but doable and sure I should probably lose the stock D605 tires and get some new tires on.......but again we're just gonna ride some of the "bunny" trails.

Let me just say I was worn out. The treads almost immediately filled up with mud and I couldn't even ride......spent the better part of the day paddling my bike along. I couldn't get up any incline at all......gravity took over on any down hill (made for a couple of interesting dismounts) even flat wet dirt was near impossible because my front tire would wash at anytime (yes I was trying to weigh down the front).

While I know I suck as a rider.......I am writing a good chunk of my problems off to squirrely equipment.

So tires........at this moment I don't really care about the road worthiness of a tire as most of my riding on this bike is going to be off road with the exception of connecting the trails.

So, what tires have you had the best luck with in mud and soft terrain? While new tires might not make me not suck as much as a rider.......they might help keep me from flying over the handle bars as much.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 05-07-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

If you don't care about DOT, a Pirelli MT16 rear is tough to beat as a good all-round do-anything tire.

Pirelli MT 16 All Terrain MX Rear Tire - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Also, I recently bought a Dunlop Geomax MX51, it was a impulse buy at the local Cycle Gear and it's been very good, too. I ran it in a nasty mud race last month and it did great even though it is billed as an intermediate tire, and has a good grip all-round. This is what is currently on my bike right now.

Dunlop MX51 Geomax Intermediate Rear Tire - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

For the front, I haven't found anything better than a Pirelli Scorpion MX MidSoft32. It wears a little quicker than the DOT legal Scorpion Pro, but for traction and feel, it's hard to beat. I love this front.

https://www.denniskirk.com/643089.sku

But if you're looking for a true mud tire, try a Pirelli MXS rear:

Pirelli MXS Rear Tire - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep those D605's realy suck, I got stuck with them on flat ground in the mud. I have Michelin AC10's. They work great.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

What tyre pressures were you running?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I was running 18psi.......I didn't want to go any lower without rimlocks. I've got a set of rimlocks on order though.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Dunlop 952. Wear very well and great grip. Also really cheap for a dunlop. Basically a longer wearing D752.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
I was running 18psi.......I didn't want to go any lower without rimlocks. I've got a set of rimlocks on order though.
Once you fit a rimlock you can go to around 12 psi however leave the nut on the valve loose. Do NOT tighten it down, leave it up under the cap. And of course air it up if your going back on the road. I used those little co2 bottles.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

No matter what air pressure you are at, the D605's will not grip in the mud.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the Kenda Trackmasters.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

If this hurts feelings, too bad....its more about the rider than the bike. I had to ride my buddies pimped out husaberg up a hill for him over the weekend. I dont care if you have stock tires with 20 psi in them. The bike can go anywhere. Would it go easier with better tires and lower psi, sure. But i ran 18 psi for years in my bike before gettin rimlocks. Until i spun the tire at 18lbs. Just practice. ride more. Challenge yourself, push yourself. Try things you think you cant do. There isnt anything i wont try. Except maybe vertical hill climbs, but ill do damn close. If your scared to crash or get hurt maybe you shouldnt be riding a dirt bike. If im limping around at work on monday i know i had a great weekend.

Quick Reply: Rough day in the mud.....I suck