Riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm much more comfortable in dualsport boots - Oxtars. Never could get used to the lack of feel in MX boots. Coincidentally, the only time I broke an ankle while riding was in MX boots. If I flew through the air a bit more I'd want the extra protection. As it is, I'll take the OK protection for way better control.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Since CP unsubscribed , this is for everyone else.
I remember thinking that I had wasted $100 the first time I tried riding with some new Moose racing boots I had bought. I looked into it online and ended up moving the shift lever up one spline, wearing the boots around the house a lot to break them in, and learning to lift my whole leg a bit instead of just flicking my ankle to work the shift lever. Those boots became so comfortable I could wear them all day without any issues.
A couple years ago I upgraded to some Alpinestar tech3's. The Moose boots were a great entry level boot ,but you can definitely see and feel the difference in quality of the Alpinestars compared to the Moose boots. I can still wear my boots all day, riding and walking, with no problems.
Dan

Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

On the subject of motorcycle boots, I'll try to make a long story, which illustrates the value of proper riding boots, and second opinions, short.

When he was much younger & single back in his home country of Scotland, my father was riding his Matchless G15 home in the rain. *He decided to wear rubber boots rather than his normal leather riding boots. *A car made a right hand turn in front of him and crushed his left foot against the primary cover & drove the brake control through his foot.

The first doctor who saw him proposed *taking his leg off at the knee. *My father asked for a second opinion. *

The second doctor proposed taking only his foot off. My father asked for a third opinion.*

The third doctor proposed taking only his big toe off. My father said "sold", but spent the next year of his life in hospital getting his ankle & foot reconstructed.

When I first took up riding my father made it crystal clear to me that proper riding gear is NEVER optional...Those of us who don't already understand the need for riding gear, unfortunately one day will!

Not meaning to lecture anyone, just hoping to save some grief...

Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
proper riding gear is NEVER optional...Those of us who don't already understand the need for riding gear, unfortunately one day will!

Not meaning to lecture anyone, just hoping to save some grief...
Well said! Here in Arizona especially when it warms up and gets hot, you see riders out in shorts, flip flops and of course the ultimate head gear, the "bandana"! Hey out zoomin around in traffic or on the hwy, what could happen?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

We were overdue for an ATGATT thread.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

While we're at it, what brand of motor oil are you guys using?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
While we're at it, what brand of motor oil are you guys using?
I think that deserves it's own thread. That debate on it's own could go on for pages!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
I think that deserves it's own thread. That debate on it's own could go on for pages!
It already has....

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
I was being sarcastic.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried to search for the thread that appears to have been referenced here but keep getting a database error. I gather said thread got a little heated/long etc and has become a cultural reference around here.

Quick Reply: Riding boots