Riding boots

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding boots

I bought some THOR QUADRANT boots 1/2 off last summer, 50$. I HATE MX BOOTS, HATE THEM!!!!! Couldn't shift, bend my ankles, get a good feel for the pegs, walking sucked, they were heavy, restricting, uncomfy, FLAT OUT RETARDED!!!! Any suggestions?? I usually just wear my work boots, most of the time tennis shoes Is there such a thing as a comfy trail boot????????????????

Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Comfy trail boots is an oxy-moron. Some are more "comfortable" than others but they are stiff for protection. I have tech7's which are comfortable but stiff. They all break in to a degree but will always be stiff. Get used to it or use something less protective. I walk around in mine from time to time to help break them in quicker. You can also get a longer shift lever that will make it easier for you to shift.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

I currently use Sidi Vertebra boots left over from my sportbike riding. Other than squeaking they are ok on the street and gravel. anything more offroad and they lack traction. I am saving for one of the Sidi dual sport versions later this year.

No matter what you go with for riding, work, hiking, etc., good boots are gonna cost ya...

Old 01-20-2013, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I also have a set of Thors. They are pretty reasonably priced for what they deliver. They will break-in as you get some miles on them, but they will remain stiff! Don't expect any MX boot to fit like street wear though; you'll appreciate the rigidity the first time you smash your shin into a tree stump!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Diadora's look O.K. I guess?? HEBO's are cool too. Get away from that moto feel!! That's cool, thanx, unsubscribing from this thread, not worth the same old answers

Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Three answers and you unsubscribe? That's not holding out much hope for reasonable discussion or new opinions. Personally I was hoping to see a ranging discourse on the subject as I'm after ideas for dualsport boots as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I too have a pair of Thor Quadrants that I bought a few months ago. The $100 price makes it a great entry point boot. I ride strictly off road and I used to wear my Army issue boots, very comfortable but provided no protection above the ankle. My legs, below the knee were beat up and busied. The foot pegs played hell on my shins and the few times the bike came out from under me on a turn, twisted my ankles.

It took about 8-10 rides just to get used to them as they are stiff around the ankle. I walked around the yard and garage many times to assist breaking them in. I had to adjust my shifter up one notch in order to shift properly as the toe didn't fit under the shifter. I still miss a shift once in a while, but now I can't ride without them. My feet and legs are less stressed after riding and I have no more bruises.

One complaint: the buckles in the Quadrants have a tendency to snap open from time to time. No major issue, I just secure as needed when I stop.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

my compromise boots are the FOX Comp 5 boot. They are much shorter than a typical mx boot. My legs are kind of short and a regular MX boot basically comes up to my knee. They are super uncomfortable and almost impossible to work for me. The Comp5 are still very stiff to keep an ankle break, just without some of the shin protection, but I wear shin guards along with them. They have worked fine for me this past year. I am not an extreme rider however. YMMV.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I had to install a longer shifter pedal because of my mx boots... One problem solved.

Quick Reply: Riding boots