Ride Report:Lackawana Rails Part II, Not Quite Like The First.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ride Report:Lackawana Rails Part II, Not Quite Like The First.

Pete(Dive2you), Patrick(Plameau), and myself rode the Lackawana Rails today. It was a very mild pace down and back. On the way back we explored some of the trails that go off of the main rail line. Most of them were not very used there were some log crossings and some loose steep uphills. I learned a few valuable lessons today. Number 1 is I deffinitly need to work on my riding skills(This is my first offroad bike with less than 500 miles on it of 50/50 street/dirt.) Lesson number 2 is, if you take the stock tires, run them at 22 psi(no rim locks yet), and try and go up steep loose sections that also have a slight mist of rain on them you come up with [:'(]. Needless to say new tires are being ordered this week. There were some parts that I didn't think I would make up. After we made it out to the begining of the trails we rode about 5-10 miles on some paved/gravel roads to a trail up the mountain. It wasn't too steep and not to technical, but quite a few rocks. We all went to the top to see the views. On the way back down Pete went over the opposit side of the mountain to get home and Patrick and I went back down the way we came to investegate some power line trails, This is when trouble started. Half way down we made it to the power lines, there were two sections to choose from, one was way steep with a ton of rocks. Patrick could have probably made it up, but I don't think I would have. The other line was not quite as steep, but still with a ton of rocks. I didn't think I was going to make it up this section either, but we went for it. About 3/4 of the way up yhe trail Patrick was about 20 feet in front of me when all I saw was the front end of his bike come up very fast, then next thing I saw was a green klx completly upside down going through air. The bike landed hard on its side on the side of the trail. In the process of landing it wound up knocking off the cornor of the oil filter cover and punching a hole in the side cover where the oil filter is. Patrick Tried to fix it with some epoxy. After letting it set up, we started to head back down the trail and limp his bike back to the truck. He did not start it when going down to try and let it set up a little longer. Well little to our suprise waiting at the bottom of the trail was 2 national forest rangers greeting us(and no not in a good way). After waisting our time for about an hour and making us leave our bikes on the side of the trail and hike about 1/2 mile to there truck, we finally got to hike back to our bikes with ciations in hand. We then slowly got back down to the main road and started heading back to the truck. Well the temporary patch on Patricks bike didn't last to long and oil went spewing everywhere. At this point Patrick Gave me his keys to his truck and I left him on the side of the raod to go get the truck. Got to the truck and loaded my bike up on one of those trailer hitch mounts. Well as we all know bad things always happen in three's. I didn't make it more than a mile and next thing I know I hear the sound of my bike hitting the pavement. I was only going about 5 mph at the time and one of the straps came loose. Picked it up, bars were trashed, they took all of the impact. At least this gives me a good reason to mount the new Renthals I have sitting in my garage. After some investigation it seems that we were not on federal land at the time of the tickets, so they will be fought. Patrick actually got one of his ripped up while on the side of the roadwhen the rangers came looking for us to see if we had left the trails or not. I left a message for the ranger at the station and they will be in contact with me tommorow. Overall it was a good day. Sorry for the long post, and sorry for no pics, no one had a camera. I know some of you would have wanted to see patricks bike laying on its side with the damage, and the rangers giving us tickets. Maybe next time.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ride Report:Lackawana Rails Part II, Not Quite Like The First.

Ahh...good times. No really, had a blast!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Man, sounds like a rough weekend. Busted bikes and getting busted all at once.

Side note, Patrick, I just ordered up a stock size Trakmaster and 774F, these 50/50 tires have got to go considering they are nearly slicks now. What is a good pressure for this setup when running sand, what about hardpack?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

That sucks that you both trashed your bike's, but you'll have a riding experience you wont soon forget.LOL I think I should order some new sneaker's for the bike now and save myself the constant self doubt about the stocker's ability, since I already know mine. I wonder if gps's know when your on federal land and such. It's amazing how the little klx attracts johhny law so much. They must have a anaconda sized hard on for dirtbikes, or something. Why? Good luck with the ticket's, and getting the bikes fixed back up.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I assume that the folks you encountered were Federal Park Rangers? not BLM rangers... my encounters with BLM Rangers (here in the western states)on questionable land has always been either because ofholiday weekend or on a piece of adajecnt land to a turtle preserve or "closed access" land. Keep us informed on you battle with the citationbecause land use battles affect all of us regardless of 2 wheels or 4 ......

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Josh...I run 12-15 psi in the rear but YOU MUST ADD A BEADLOCK!!!!!!!!

in your neck of the woods run20 Out front to prevent pinch flats

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wait, did you say "mild pace"? And Patrick was on this ride? Must be a different Patrick, I don't think I've met him. Seriously, though, sounds like you guys had fun! Patrick, can you repair your engine with just a new filter cover, or did it crack the casing right side cover? Bummer about the tickets, hope you are successful in challenging them. Bummer about your bike, too, Jeff - at least just the bars took the brunt of it. I'm betting Pete is glad he split off and went the other way.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow sounds like you guys had a full day for sure. Let us know what happens with the citations. "FIGHT THE POWER"

Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope...chunk missing from the case.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

that sucks patrick....... I was wondering when something was gonna break on your bike...... lol...... well at least its not too bad
is it theinner clutch clover? p/n 14032-0059? 98$....ouch

COVER-CLUTCH,INNER

Your Price Only $98.03

Im sure you wont have to pay that much though...... it will probably be free...lol

Quick Reply: Ride Report:Lackawana Rails Part II, Not Quite Like The First.