Rich vs. Lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rich vs. Lean

fireslayer the bike is NOT a POS, I have not spent a cent on my motor and I'm happy with it. I do have the 300 kit which I recieved free with my bike and I will fit it later on but for what it is its fine. Unless you have a KLX I suggest you don't have a clue. For the price there is nothing better.

cya

Garry

Old 08-21-2006, 04:24 PM

fireslayer the bike is NOT a POS, I have not spent a cent on my motor and I'm happy with it. I do have the 300 kit which I recieved free with my bike and I will fit it later on but for what it is its fine. Unless you have a KLX I suggest you don't have a clue. For the price there is nothing better.

cya

Garry

Thanks for your response Garry. I have a couple of questions for you. First,,, How in the world did you get a 300 kit for your bike?
What elevation are you at? I'm at 5000, so performance is an issue. I don't want or need a rocket. I want a bike that I can cruise around on the back roads and head up into the hills. If I wanted a dirt bike I would buy a dirt bike and convert it. The KLX sounds good, but I am not real keen about buying something anemic (someone's words in another post). There is definately more than one person that feel that this bike is set up poorly from the factory.

Dave

Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

it is setup poorly from the factory but not as poorly as the above drama queen would have u suggest.. by just adding the 13t sprocket ($25 and 15 minutes of your time, the bike was a new machine...) dont always believe everything you read, especially online!!!! my advice is go to your dealer and take one for a ride. It all comes down to opinion. I have added the 13t sprocket, high flow intake, drilled baffles and rejet'd it (total cost of $65+-). This bike screams now and has nothin but smiles for me whenever i take it out. Some small mods and the lightness and handling of this bike cant be beat especially in the woods.
good luck.

and on a sidenote i took my first good biff last night.. racin a YFZ450 (yes he smoked my a$$) at my buddy's in a grass field when the rear end decided it wanted to be in front of the frontend at about 40mph or so.. i got slammed nicely to the ground. Tweaked the hell outta the handlebars along with the shifter (and my knee and shoulder, think bodyslam at 40mph) we took a bar and bent the bars straight and removed the shifter and bent it straight and its good as new, bike still runs like a charm.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 PM

The klx is a dirt bike with street gearing,it is not under powered put under geared,throw a 52 tooth rear sproket on it and it will feel no different than a klx 300.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

cya

Garry
I agree that this bike is definitely not a POS...
But Garry, I don't think you know the pain that we feel with the US version of the bike.
The AUS version seems to be less restricted off the showroom - i.e. the 1 inch exhaust opening compared to 1/2 inch in the US/Canada.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

klx300 stock gearing is 14/46 klx250s gearing stock is 14/42....

Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Thanks to all that answered. At one point, I was going to give up on the idea of a KLX-s and consider a DRZ-400.
I really feel that the KLX is the bike that I want, and I don't have a problem throwing a little money at it to dial it in. I do have an issue with $500 just to get it to run. Doesn't sound like that is the issue, even though gfoster is having issues with his, it may just be an isolated bike with it's own problems.

I still didn't get an answer to my origional question, so I went elsewhere and came up with this:
If a bike is jetted lean at sea level, it will become richer as you go up in elevation. Thus the problem with a bike at 13,000'. It sounds like it is too rich.
I am not all that high, but high enough that the stock jetting may be close enough. Changing the gearing sounds like a wise investment as well.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:02 AM

Stock gearing on a 300 is 14/50,Not trying to make the 250 something its not but ive owned a drz and also a xr 650 and they arent really dirt bikes but dirt road bikes.There both way to top heavy to hang in the woods.But you cant beat them for side road riding.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:36 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get it that way?

Quick Reply: Rich vs. Lean