Rich vs. Lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Default Rich vs. Lean

I'm still a month or so away from picking up my new bike, but I do have a question that we are debating at work.

It is a no brainer that they deliver new bikes to dealers LEAN for emmissions issues. Are they setting them up so they run OK at sea level?
I live at 5,000'. Since the air is thinner, would a "bike that is lean at sea level" run better ( a little richer ) at a higher elevation?
It just seems that less air = more fuel. I will run my bike from 4,000 to 7,000 feet.
Then after a few mods, I'll probably have to start all over. At some point a new exhaust and air box sound like the ticket.
Thanks
Dave

Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rich vs. Lean

Sounds like you are correct but you will know for sure soon. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:49 AM

I live at 5000 ft and the bike is pretty much useless off the showroom floor, it won't even pull itself up a hill at 8000ft without taking the top off the airbox. I currently have a K & N air filter, high flow snorkel, muzzy full exhaust, the full carb mod (Drill the slide 7/64's, 2.5 turns on fuel screw, 120 main jet, and the N1TC needle on the 2nd notch) and the 13 tooth counter shaft sprocket.

Just got all the mods installed and haven't taken it out to see how it runs on the trails, but it certainly looks promising. I haven't experienced the 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies that I have seen in other posting but I may not have the carb set just right, most of the postings I have seen are for lower elevations.

If you haven't ridden a stock KLX250S, I would recommend you do so before you buy it. The bike will need the mods if you intend to do anything other than ride it on flat level ground, they cost approx $500, and the full exhaust are hard to come by.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:50 AM

If you haven't ridden a stock KLX250S, I would recommend you do so before you buy it. The bike will need the mods if you intend to do anything other than ride it on flat level ground, they cost approx $500, and the full exhaust are hard to come by.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that is dissapointing to hear. It sounds like the KLX is basically a POS.

I didn't really expect to buy a brand new bike and do $500 in mods just to get it to run right.

Any thoughts on my origional question?

~~Since the air is thinner, would a "bike that is lean at sea level" run better ( a little richer ) at a higher elevation? ~~

Old 08-21-2006, 05:43 AM

Short story, if you want a $5000 project buy a KLX250S, if not look somewhere else. The thing that you will run into is a "dual sport" ANY bike will be an under powered compared a "dirt bike" because the emphasis is on emissions not performance. I also own a Suzuki DRZ400S that performed well stock, not as well as a 400E but you could at least ride it without mods.

If you don't have to be licensed to ride the bike on the street buy a dirt bike, for the same money you can get a bike that will "RIP" out of the blocks for the same money and no mods required. You can buy a Honda 450X that you can barely stay on for the same money. Before you pluck down $5,000 on this bike do some research, this bike is a DISGRACE stock, I speak from experience, I own one.....

If you have to ride on the street, check on your state requirements for converting a bike from off road use to on road use. You may be able to get a screamin bike and ride it on the street. Just a heads up..... Buyer beware.....

Old 08-21-2006, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I just can't let it go. The bike it NOT a POS. I spent less than $100 and I am perfectly happy. You can modify the stock exhaust, replace the front CS sprocket, add a DJ jet kit, and use a KX snorkle and you are ready to go. You don't need a $450 loud stainless exhaust to get it to go. No offense to anyone that has an aftermarket pipe, but it is a "want" not a "need". Certainly if you are going to do it anyway it is easier to do it once and be done.

Many many motorcycles come overly restricted from the factory. The EPA required a foolish 80 db pipe. Non DS bikes get to have a 94 db pipe, good grief. To get the thing to run with that straw on the back it has to be lean as soon as you let air through it.

I just returned from a 300 mile three day off road trip with this machine. I have nothing but good things to say about the performance of this bike.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:06 AM

You proved my point, As a consumer, I should not have to work on a bike that cost $5,000 dollars! This bike will not pull itself up a hill stock and anyone that has bought one knows that, I am just trying to let this individual know what he is buying. I own one, have made all the mods and the bike looks promising, haven't had an opportunity to really check it out yet.

Once again, before you pluck down $5,000 dollars check the other bikes.......

Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 AM
1st Gear Member

compared to the other bikes in its engine class..i say it the best bang for your buck in the 200-250cc class in dual sports....its about 500-600 more than an xt 225..but it shows in the suspension..and its a grand less than a drz400..... the bike is perfect for me because im short..and its easy to handle powerwise fora beginner..im terrified to open the throttle....but ims tarting to desire a bit more power....im happ with it on the street...and its fun and eas to ride in the dirt....all in all im happy with it..

Old 08-21-2006, 06:32 AM

The basic point: know what you want. Its a matter of choice, that is all (not quality).

First remember that "Dual sport" is always a compromise, by definition. In fact, every kind of bike compromises on something. That is why there are different kinds of bikes. Variety/choice is awesome!

So, if you know what you want, you only need to realize what this bike is in order to see if it fits the category you want. It is a 250 4-stroke, one that is choked way down to be street legal in 50 states. You can open it up with performance mods, which cost some amount of money and time -- then you'll have a street-legal 250 4-stroke that performs closer to a non-street-legal 250 4-stroke dirt bike. Alternatively, maybe you can street-legal mod a 250 4-stroke dirt bike. Alternatively, you can simply buy the 250 4-stroke dirt bike and not performance mod it -- but that is a pure dirt bike, and if you want a pure dirt bike then you would be in the wrong place by being on this forum that is all about an out-of-the-box dual sport (again, i.e. "compromise") bike. Heck, maybe you don't want any 250 4-stroke, maybe you want a 1200 sport bike or a 450 dirt bike or 50 dirt bike (hah!) or a 650 dual sport -- they are no better or worse, they are simply different products. (In fact, I happen to have a 1200 street bike and a 650 in addition to my 250 dual sport -- way different bike all around and it would be invalid for me to compare one to the other in a certain category such as power or weight or what have you).

Again, its all a matter of choice of product that you want, and not a question of quality (e.g., "POS", et al.) (e.g., "better" or "worse") at all. If you buy this bike as an informed consumer, then you wanted a dual sport (again, i.e., "compromise") street-legal 250 4-stroke bike. If you buy this bike but don't like it, that is because you simply didn't know what you wanted when you bought it and in reality you want something else (a dirt bike maybe, or a bigger street bike maybe, who knows). Bottom line (again): know what you want to buy before you buy it.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:44 AM

Sorry, got the price wrong, I bought my 06 DRZ400S for $5000 out the door. The same price I paid for my son's KLX250 and I purchased it for the same reason you stated in your post. It was lighter and shorter, the only problem was the performance, I could not imagine that Kawasaki would build such "dog". I have learned my lesson, just wanted to spread the word. Buyer beware.....

Quick Reply: Rich vs. Lean