Removing Secondary Throttle Blade - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice!

What is the reason for the spring?

Old 10-09-2022, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Peter Leif Lindvall
Nice!

What is the reason for the spring?
Same as all of the other restrictions... emissions.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Question

Originally Posted by tooter
I paired the secondary throttle plate delete mod with my primary throttle plate ECU control spring delete mod.

The Ecu delays closing the primary throttle plate which reduces engine braking, and also holds the plate open for that irritating manic fast cold idle. Simply removing that spring frees the primary throttle plate from ALL ECU controls. The engine still cold starts and runs just fine because the cold mixture is still rich, it simply idles at the same 1,500 rpms as when the engine is hot..

Try it, you might like it. If you don't, it's easily reversabie.

I live in a canyon so all the asphalt I ride on is twisted. Having instant deceleration engine braking from an instantly fully closed primary throttle plate is a great help in cornering.
Hi Tooter. Do you have any pictures or descriptions of the process you went through to remove the plate? Did you have to remove the throttle body or the air box?

Thanks!
dankly

Old 01-18-2023, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danklyrides
Hi Tooter. Do you have any pictures or descriptions of the process you went through to remove the plate? Did you have to remove the throttle body or the air box?

Thanks!
dankly
You definitely need to gain access to the back end of the throttlebody however you can in order to get a driver onto the screw which holds on the plate. Naturally this screw has been staked to hold it in so it will resist removal. You want a good sharp properly sized Phillips screwdriver so as to engage the screw head positively and with plenty of downforce so it does NOT strip. You do NOT want to strip that screw. Here's a pic.

Removing the secondary throttle plate gets rid of that irritating 7,000 rpm "dip" in the dyno chart, because the ECU holds the plate halfway open and only opens fully above 7,000 rpms. Here's a dyno run I did testing the custom exhaust before that mod.

This mod also works well paired with the ECU primary throttle plate control spring delete.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
Removing the secondary throttle plate gets rid of that irritating 7,000 rpm "dip" in the dyno chart, because the ECU holds the plate halfway open and only opens fully above 7,000 rpms.
Serious question, when you're accelerating under wide-open throttle, at what RPM do you usually upshift in each gear?

Old 01-19-2023, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
Serious question, when you're accelerating under wide-open throttle, at what RPM do you usually upshift in each gear?
I'm just a regular daily transportation rider so my bike rarely gets full throttle and never hits the redline rev limiter.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I also never go anywhere near full throttle. Don't seem to need it anywhere, on or off road. I usually shift between 5k and 7k.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:04 PM

Maybe not so, new car models are coming out without throttle plates at all as crazy as it sounds. Completely open to atmosphere and controlled by the fuel management system completely. I kind of like the plate but that's progress.