Removing the airbox forever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

There was a thread on thumpertalk with this same question, and the consensus over there was that the stock airbox acts as a plenum of sorts, and actually helps the airflow. They said that most of the time the bike lost power overall (think less area under the curve on a dyno), but gained slightly in the top end.

No personal experience though, so take it for what it's worth. If i wasn't so lazy, I'd link it for you. Shouldn't be hard to find though

Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well according to what you said it might be good for me...i do 60-70mph everyday...my bike is not dirt ridden so i dont need loads of torque...

I can atleast try it and see how it goes

Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dready
I use my bike for basic transportation to work and so forth. So i check the weather...if its gonna rain i drive my car...simple as that.

And even if i do get caught in the rain one day a K&N filter is water resistant and its under the seat so i really dont see it as being a huge problen.
I've rode in plenty of rain, with accompanied wind, and never had a problem.

Just be real careful were you point the hose when you wash the bike because that WILL cause problems. Nothing that draining the float bowl won't fix, but just saying

I say go for it if you want to do it. I'm guessing that most of the alarmist responses are coming from people who've never tried it. Keep the airbox for awhile just in case you might want to go back for any reason.

Just keep in mind that you will have to go with either a catch tank or direct filter for the engine breather.

Last edited by tremor38; 11-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
cause problems. Nothing that draining the float bowl won't fix, but just saying

I say go for it if you want to do it. I'm guessing that most of the alarmist responses are coming from people who've never tried it. Keep the airbox for awhile just in case you might want to go back for any reason.

Just keep in mind that you will have to go with either a catch tank or direct filter for the engine breather.
Well you would be guessing wrong since I had PODS in my Z1 and ZRX. First off tuning for them was a huge PITA, second, having to check the weather and worry about or not ride on any day where there was a chance of rain was a second PITA, third, in cross winds it was a known fact that at least on these bikes you would get starvation (head to the ZRX site and read for yourself) and third, washing the bike was a PITA since you had to be sure to cover the filters 100%.

I don't know about you guys, but I have been caught in unexpected rain many times. Weatherman says 10% chance of rain, so I ride to work and it is pouring out when I am ready to head home. It happens.

I am also wondering if there really is a benefit? It looks great, but will you see ANY power gains over a good filter and an open airbox lid?

His bike, he can do what he wants, but he asked for opinions, more than one counts, no?

Old 11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

We are talking about a 250cc single cylinder single carb bike here.

I can kind of see the whole crosswinds theory but how to harleys and etc have those filter sticking straight out not have the same problem?

Also water...i really dont see it as being a problem.

how can this be the most popular mod for a buell blast (which is also a single cylinder) and all these people not worry about rain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUELL...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buell...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUELL...Q5fAccessories

And last...tuning? Its one carb...the worst that happens is i run lean because of increased air and i go up another size in jet...its not hard to jet these bikes..its 1 carb. not 4 like some superbike..

discuss

Old 11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks to be more trouble than it's worth. If it doesn't increase HP or some performance factor of the bike - why do it? Just seems like a waste of time!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

No one knows if it will increase horsepower because no one has tried it....

The benifits to me are...

Easier to take the carb out when I need to rejet..

Losing weight

Looks cleaner

1,000,000 mille k&n filter

You guys sure do accept change well

Old 11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I think most people on this site are 50/50 on/off road or more. Thats why they bought a dual sport and not a street bike. From an off road point of view removing the air box is a bad idea. I'd say if your only riding in fair weather on the slab take the air box off and try it. If it works for your application then great, if not put it back on story over.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

^agree

Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

If it increases HP it will increase it about 0.0005 HP.

So basically you'll never even notice it. So why bother? And losing weight - probably four ounces.. Just drop a big dooky before you leave the house and you'll gain more!!!!

Don't care what anyone says, do what *you* want to do!

Quick Reply: Removing the airbox forever?