Rekluse Cutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Rekluse Cutch Install

Yes, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with a KLX, but I know there's a lot of weekend wrenches here like me and I thought you might get a kick out of this. This is me installing my auto clutch, lol.

http://www.vimeo.com/3195738

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

ZOMG that video makes you look like you're on cocaine (it's a helluva drug!)

Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of us would never be able to put that thing back together. What exactly does a rekluse clutch do? What advantage over stock? Or was your old clutch just burned out?

Mike

Old 02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Rekluse is an auto clutch, it will disengage when the engine RPMs drop without having to touch the clutch lever, though the lever is still there and fully operational for when you need it, such as to feather it for power control or to rev up and dump it to lift the front.

http://www.rekluse.com/

This is the one I got:

http://www.rekluse.com/zstartpro.shtml

It has several advantages including reduced arm pump, especially in the woods like a hare scramble. Also, it's almost impossible to stall out with it. Not quite impossible, but almost. It will "feather" the clutch automatically in the tight stuff, you just have to be in a gear that is close, it will do the rest. You can come in to a sharp turn, brake slide to skid steer, and get back on the throttle all without touching the clutch or worry about pulling it to avoid stalling.

I had one about a year and a half ago, but I pulled it out and sold it for what I paid for it, not really "getting it" or didn't like the pro/con trade-offs. But lately though, after gaining another year and half of riding experience, having raced a hare scramble and in general having become a better rider and can push a bit harder now, I can better appreciate its virtues. I've been thinking about it for a while these past 6 months or so, and with hare scramble season coming up in about a month, I decided I'd give it another try. I think thing is the ultimate hare scramble cheater weapon.

It has lots of pros and only a few cons. I'm anxious to get in a few rides on it.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

OK I have some problems! Whats with the t-shirt and shorts, I saw flip flops also? And I have another problem, Whats with Reading directions OH come on.

J/k I won't have shorts on for at least 3-4 more months I'm very jealous!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Awsome! I want the rekluse, but also don't have the cash to buy one :-(
Im still in the midst of the dualsport install on my bike. Probably gunna set me back a couple hundred.
Looked like a straight foward install?
You're pretty quick too, installed and tested in just over 5 mins!!! The ultimate bolt on! ha

The other awsome thing about these type of bikes.. Not so easy to just lay a sportbike or a cruiser on it's side.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
OK I have some problems! Whats with the t-shirt and shorts, I saw flip flops also? And I have another problem, Whats with Reading directions OH come on.

J/k I won't have shorts on for at least 3-4 more months I'm very jealous!
Ha ha, yeah that was the wife's feet in the flip flops. It was probably close to 70 degrees. About the directions, I guess I'm busted on that. I swear, those weren't directions, that was a chinese take-out menu, I was ordering dinner.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
Looked like a straight foward install?
You're pretty quick too, installed and tested in just over 5 mins!!! The ultimate bolt on! ha

The other awsome thing about these type of bikes.. Not so easy to just lay a sportbike or a cruiser on it's side.
The install was very straightforward, piece of cake. A buddy is bringing over his BMW 650X for me to do tonight. Then he's trading right away for a KTM 690, not sure if I'll be doing the 690 or not. I don't mind, it's fun working on this stuff, especially when everything goes smooth. The Rekluse is a top notch piece of kit, everything fit perfect and the machining and craftsmanship on it is some of the best I've seen. I like working with parts like that. I'm not familiar with the BMW at all, though, hopefully I don't screw it up.

The vid is about a 10X speedup, so the actual install was about 50 minutes. If I did it again, I think I could get it down to probably 30 or less.

And as for laying it down on the side, you're right, you'd never see a Harley or sport bike owner doing that, at least not on purpose. My bike has been on its side so many times I can't count them all, though. The plastics are scratched and nicked up, and look like they've been scuffed up with 40-grit sand paper. Just like a dirt bike is supposed to be. I didn't even think twice about it, and wouldn't have even thought about it you hadn't mentioned it.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Almond chicken, or sweet and sour pork? Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes. . . what size model airplane motor is in that Katoom? Sounds. . . awesome?

Quick Reply: Rekluse Cutch Install