Recieved the Dunlop 606

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Default Recieved the Dunlop 606

Just letting everyone know that when I got home from work yesterday I saw sitting on my porch my brand new Rear 606 Dunlop and a little box containing all my tools to change it with. So looks like I'm going to have a hell of a weekend ahead of me. Hopefully I will be able to change the tire all right without pinching the hell outta the tube and cussing too much. Since I went with Dunlop I decided not to order the front tire, it still has Plenty of tread left and it keeps it up it will be good for quiet a while. So far I have 1500 miles on my bike, and I got the bike close to 2 months ago, I love this bike. Anyways with 1500 miles the rear tire is really not that good for off road use at all anymore, unless you use the knobbies on the sides when turning, because there are no longer knobbies in the center. The 606 looks like an extremly agressive tire, I think I will love it. The knobby pattern is a little different then the 603 but other then that they look pretty much the same, hopefully it will last much longer then the 603's though. Now its time to go find that post with all the tire changing information.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Default RE: Recieved the Dunlop 606

I think the 606 is a more agressive tire than the 603 is, but that is just my opinion.

Here's a link to a Tire Changing Class over at Advrider just in case you can't find the other one.

I personally like to work on sawhorses. It keeps the work off the ground, give the brake rotor a safe place to keep from being damaged and I think you have a whole lot more leverage.

Taking the tire off is a simple thing - almost too simple.

Once the old tube is removed, fill it up with air and make sure it does not leak. They make great "spares" to carry when out and about.

My personal preference is to once the first bead of the tire is mounted, to go ahead and put the tube in place. I partially inflate the tube so that it is soft, but there are no folds in it. I also believe in talcum or baby powder on the tube. Keeps it moving - a moving tube is one that is hard to pinch!

Put the tube in, get the valve stem threaded into the hole and place a nut on it to keep it there. Do not tighten the nut, just leave the valve stem loosely in place. Fill the tire with the tube. Since it has air in it, it should stay away from the bead area.

Now, making sure the bead stays on the center of the rim on the opposite that you are spooning on, slide the rest of the bead on to the rim.

Mount it up and go riding.

Now, I have NOT changed the tire on my KLX yet, but I have changed the tire on my KLR on many occasions. Something I have found that is a frustration saver is the remove the brake caliper when removing the rear wheel assembly. It makes life so much easier to put the wheel back on, not having the line up the rear rotor with the brake caliper. Two bolts is all that holds it on.

Why wait until this weekend? Changing that tire is only an hour's job!

Old 04-26-2006, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Marty

I think the 606 is a more agressive tire than the 603 is, but that is just my opinion.

Here's a link to a Tire Changing Class over at Advrider just in case you can't find the other one.

I personally like to work on sawhorses. It keeps the work off the ground, give the brake rotor a safe place to keep from being damaged and I think you have a whole lot more leverage.

Taking the tire off is a simple thing - almost too simple.

Once the old tube is removed, fill it up with air and make sure it does not leak. They make great "spares" to carry when out and about.

My personal preference is to once the first bead of the tire is mounted, to go ahead and put the tube in place. I partially inflate the tube so that it is soft, but there are no folds in it. I also believe in talcum or baby powder on the tube. Keeps it moving - a moving tube is one that is hard to pinch!

Put the tube in, get the valve stem threaded into the hole and place a nut on it to keep it there. Do not tighten the nut, just leave the valve stem loosely in place. Fill the tire with the tube. Since it has air in it, it should stay away from the bead area.

Now, making sure the bead stays on the center of the rim on the opposite that you are spooning on, slide the rest of the bead on to the rim.

Mount it up and go riding.

Now, I have NOT changed the tire on my KLX yet, but I have changed the tire on my KLR on many occasions. Something I have found that is a frustration saver is the remove the brake caliper when removing the rear wheel assembly. It makes life so much easier to put the wheel back on, not having the line up the rear rotor with the brake caliper. Two bolts is all that holds it on.

Why wait until this weekend? Changing that tire is only an hour's job!

Thanks for all the advice Marty, I do really appreciate it. Fine, I will start the tire changing procedure as soon as I get home today, for you its an hour job, for me it will take FOREVER!!. Is it ok just to take the rotor off the wheel, will this present problems other then time comsumption, I never hear of anyone doing this?? Also on duel sports do the wheels need balancing after changing the tires?

Hey so when are we going to go riding in the Ocala?(is this the right spelling) national forest and have a blast on those sandy trails?? I need to do some camping too. This would sound like a nice 3 day get away lol.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:05 PM

Rotor comes off quite easily.

On balancing - I balance my wheels all the time, just a habit. I have a Parne's Balancer that works just fine.

If you align the yellow dot on the tire with the valve stem, the tire will be close enough to being balanced that you might not have to worry about it. Usually less than a 1/4 ounce will put most tires, when mounted properly, into balance.

Remember to use some soap and water on the wheel and the tire bead. Makes your job a lot easier!

Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget, take some pictures of you old and new tire.. I am very interested in the new dunlop606 myself. and I have just gone over 900 miles last night....

Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 PM

Hey guys this is probably a lame question, but how do you lift the bike up onto a bike stand without ripping your back apart, I've never done it?? I wanted to change the rear tire today and I will probably need this to get the tire off the bike. Any suggestions would be nice. Also before I go buy a bike stand, is there any other methods to get the rear wheel off the bike to change the tire, any inovative ideas that are not that hard? I have never had to do this so I don't have any clue as how to lift the bike up onto those little stool looking stands. I need to get the rear wheel off the ground obviously, so looks like this is my only choice unless I want to go spend more money and get a bike lift, and I don't want to spend more money then I have too.l

Old 04-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well you have to sort of put the front tire at an angle ahead of the stand, and then grab the rack on the opposite side and use you're right leg as a helper and swing it toward the stand. It just takes a little practice. Here is a pic of my stand, $250.00 but well worth it, I can get my bike up almost 3 ft in the air.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/photo...Type=6&apage=1

Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 PM

One way is to take a piece of 2x4 and make a monostand for the right side of the bike.

Then put the right side of the bike ont he monostand, push it up and put the sidestand down. If the monostand is close enough to the rear wheel, it will be off the ground.

Another way . . . . . . . . no you don't want to know.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the response Deej, how do I actually lift the center portion of the bike to get it up onto the stand though, seems like I just have to dead lift the thing to put the center portion of it on the stand. I'm at a loss. Thats a very nice stand you got.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Thanks for the response Deej, how do I actually lift the center portion of the bike to get it up onto the stand though, seems like I just have to dead lift the thing to put the center portion of it on the stand. I'm at a loss. Thats a very nice stand you got.
Here's the one I bought - it's a Craftsman from Sears. It is a jack so you just wheel it underneath the bike then jack it up, no lifting involved. Twist the handle and it floats back down. I think it was around $180. It's nice and sturdy - works great. I didn't want to spend too much, but I have a tendency to slip a disk if I lift too much or stress it a certain way. I used to just use a 5 gallon bucket and lift the tail end of the bike up on that. But after lifting the rear of the bike a time or two one day, I could feel that disk pain coming on and decided that saving my back was worth at least $180. No back pain since .

Edit: fix image link

Quick Reply: Recieved the Dunlop 606