rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default rear suspension

Is replacing your rear suspension rods with some aftermarket pull rod the best way to lower the bike of your bike slightly as well as balance the steering, or is it just a waist of time and money on the 07 KLX 250s. If so, which ones would fit correctly?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: rear suspension

Is it the best way?--No

Is it the cheapest way?--Yes

Balance the steering? What do you mean? You should drop the fork to match to maintain handling or it will feel more raked out & feel like it turns slower.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I have heard in MX mags that if you lower the center of gravity you can improve the overall balance of the bike. Is there an easy adjustment that you can make to lower the front end slightly?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah loosen up all the pich bolts on both triple clamps and raise the forks. if you do decide to mess with the geomtry before you touch anything mark the forks so that you know where they were stock. that way if it doesn't do what you think it'll do you can go back to where you started...... good luck......

Old 02-10-2008, 07:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

yeah loosen up all the pich bolts on both triple clamps and raise the forks. if you do decide to mess with the geomtry before you touch anything mark the forks so that you know where they were stock. that way if it doesn't do what you think it'll do you can go back to where you started...... good luck......
I prefer to measure the distances and mark the info down in my manual. Then make notes on how it reacted in that terrain, with what tire, pressures, and other parts of the suspension setup. It makes a good read when you get stumped on what is happening with the ride.

edit: Just marking them never worked for me. Tends to rub off and I forget things everyonce in awhile as well. lol

Old 02-12-2008, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm one of the people that really benefit from a lower seat hieght. 5'5" and love off roading. I thought the lowering links would be ideal for me.

After the 1" lowering links were installed and forks lowered I fell in love with the seat hieght. Good stuff. Then I rode the bike. I could tell the handling had changed. On the road not too bad but in the dirt the front end would not stick. I lowered the triples all the way until the taper of the forks and the front would still not bite. it had altered the geometry too much in my opinion. if you are not an aggressive off road rider then you should be fine. If you are a beginner you won't notice the handling change. However if you push your bikes you WILL notice adverse handling changes.

i wish I could reap the rewards as lord knows at my hieght I need a lower seat hieght. However not at the expense of a washing out front end. So I swapped back to the stock links and have better handling....though my feet swing uselessly in the air now.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Contact Moto Pro Suspension. They'll help you lower your bike the best way. I had lowering links and the forks raised. John at Moto Pro convinced me to not do this. After putting things back to stock, I noticed that the bike had "settled in" and I really wasn't much in need of the lowering. I'm 5' 8.5" I'm not flat footed anymore, but more like half flat footed and that's good enough for me.