Rear Shock Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear Shock Leak

I found my rear shock leaking. I'm hoping for some advice. I would like to fix it myself to save some money. I know that I'd have to take it to a shop to be filled with nitrogen.
I don't think I ride that agressively but maybe I do. I have found the dust line on the front forks indicating that I've pretty much bottomed out after a few rides. I've also felt like I bottomed out the rear once or twice. I don't like the front diving when I brake. On a local trail there is a stretch with softball to cantaloupe sized loose rock. It seems like the front will compress too much and is slow to rebound. This feels like it stalls the forward momentum.
I don't want the bike to be stiff and harsh. On most of the Forest Service roads I ride, I like the ride. In the rough stuff it handles nice for the most part. I really like the point and shoot ability of the bike. Problem is the suspension seems to be a bit to soft for what I want out of the bike.
I really need some advice on how to fix my current problem and maybe while I'm at it upgrade a little to prevent future problems. I'm pretty much broke at the moment also.
09' model with about 1,900 miles. No warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Shock Leak-bc.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 02:51 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Looks like your main shaft seal is leaking. The fix isn't that tough, but if you don't feel comfortable working on it yourself, just getting the seal replaced and the oil serviced isn't a big deal...especially if you take the shock in to a shop that does this work. Shop around, because some shops are much more reasonable than others for a very basic service like this. In truth, that rear shock is a lot easier to work on than the forks. The shock will have to be disassembled to access that main shaft seal, but frankly it's not that hard.

The best thing would be have the rear shock revalved with something like a Gold Valve kit while it's apart, but it would add to the service cost, of course. You didn't mention your weight. The rear shock is usually sprung fairly well for most riders in the 175-190 range, but the front forks are horribly undersprung and horribly damped. Unless you're a flyweight, you probably need heavier fork springs.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm about 175lbs.
Any ideas on what would cause this seal to fail? Common problem?
Would respringing the front help much without a revalve?
Thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The rear shock is a KYB, and their seals are usually darned good...but sometimes stuff just fails. Look closely at the shaft with the shock fully extended for any nicks or deformities on the shaft finish. If the shaft is relatively pristine, the main seal probably just failed.

Yes, heavier fork springs will help your KLX even without revalving.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

It is a common problem yours. It is the first case I know the 2009 models.
For example, my bike has 17000km and 0 problems. Weight 180 pounds and I like to go to MX circuits with it, I can say that he is treated hard for a dual purpose bike.

In every circumstance I would not solve the problem yourself, that kind of work requires a somewhat specific tools is a challenging task if you have never done before. Requires recharging gas and hydraulic efficiently purge it free of bubbles.
Take the opportunity to, at least, install a higher quality oil.
Sorry for my poor language skills.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffward
It is a common problem yours. It is the first case I know the 2009 models.
For example, my bike has 17000km and 0 problems. Weight 180 pounds and I like to go to MX circuits with it, I can say that he is treated hard for a dual purpose bike.

In every circumstance I would not solve the problem yourself, that kind of work requires a somewhat specific tools is a challenging task if you have never done before. Requires recharging gas and hydraulic efficiently purge it free of bubbles.
Take the opportunity to, at least, install a higher quality oil.
Sorry for my poor language skills.
I don't know...that's the funny thing about the rear shock. It requires a lot less work and no really special tools like the fork does. The nitrogen pressurization seems to get everyone excited. I use plain air in the rubber bladder that is installed with a simple bicycle shock pump...about $20. A lot of experts debate the air vs. nitrogen issue, but on a KLX and a less-than-AMA-champion-rider, I've noticed no difference. If you're really out doing 40 minute non-stop motos, then you may actually benefit from nitrogen. But then...I'd ask what you're doing riding a KLX...LOL!