Rear footrest options

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
I use stock foots with extentions from bicycle pegs wrapped in black tape for traction
Can you post a picture?

I was looking through my motorcycle parts box last night and found a crossbar pad I'm not using. The pad fits pretty snug on the foot peg and with a little tape would probably stay on just fine for the occasional ride. This might be the simplest and most inexpensive solution of all. I can just slip the foam pad on when I take her for a ride and take them off when not being used.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

My wife said the same thing, so I sat on the back to see what she was talking about. The pegs are at a funny angle, and in case you have not noticed - they are NOT even at the same height or position (side-to-side). It's weird! The frame is slightly different on each side, so they had to mount them where they could. Anyway, unless you're very bow-legged, it's just plain hard to get your feet on the rear pegs. I was thinking of making some extension out of conduit and drilling them and the peg so I could secure them with a pin through the peg. That way I could remove them easily.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sorry

Sorry for the late reply, been kinda busy and haven't had time to take pic upload it etc...but here it is. Now I know why they pegs are so far inward and crappy. 2 reasons.

1) they don't want this to be a wheelie bike.

2) they are made of cheap...CHEAP cast aluminum and when you stand on them they might snap. Only of course when you add extra leverage like I did

Attached Thumbnails Rear footrest options-photo.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

The passenger pegs on a KLX are for emergency use only. Get your wife a KLX, problem solved.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

After reading the pegs aren't evenly placed (I had to check to believe it), I pulled mine off.
I use so much of the seat I can't imagine carrying a passenger, not even my new girlfriend. Well, I might throw them back on to take her for a ride...
Since that doesn't really help you...
Try going to a dealership and seeing what is on more road oriented bikes, might give you some ideas. I'll look at my EX-500 when I get home and see if those will work. If they will, you'd be welcome to them.
Do you weld? Adding material to the back side of the peg might be the best option.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick follow-up for anyone interested in replacing/modifying their rear foot pegs.

Since I was unable to find any after-market ones I came up with a simple design. Bending some 1/4" round and welding it on.

The hardest part was finding a TIG welder willing to do it for me. Fortunately, I stumbled across a fellow rider in the neighborhood willing to give it a shot. So for $25 I got the added foot space my wife was wanting.

They clear the frame when up.

If anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 07-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

That is slick Brien! Looks like money well spent.
It's funny, I just put my passenger pegs back on. Found a tiny passenger.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

That's brilliant! I like it. Nice work.

Maximus....did I miss something? Who's your tiny passenger?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

@IDRIDR - no you didn't miss anything, met a girl that is 5' nothin and probably about 90lbs that wants me to "take her for a ride", figure she is the only person besides a kid that'll fit on the bike with me. She rides a scooter everyday and we pass each other on the way to work. She wants a bike, but wants a ride on one first...likely story.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Very nice.

Quick Reply: Rear footrest options