Rear footrest options

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear footrest options

My wife and I went for a ride today. By the time we got home she said her feet were killing her. I asked why and she said because she puts the ball of her feet on the footrests and they get sore after a while. So she asked me if there were aftermarket footrests. I've never seen any, but if there were I figured you guys would know. Are the SF ones the same?

I told her next time to try wearing boots instead of tennis shows with a harder sole. If I can't find anything that'll work I might have to try and make something.

Last edited by Brieninsac; 07-12-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Changed image hosting
Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Off hand I don't know of any aftermarket passenger pegs. The short term fix is to wear boots, especially from the safety aspect. Another idea is a gel pad that is higher than stock, which would change the seating ergonomics, hip to knee to peg ratio. Alaska Leather sells them. They are a nice gel pad inside a sheep skin casing. I use one and swap it from bike to bike, works pretty good too.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
she puts the ball of her feet on the footrests
This is one of those questions that is probably best answered "whatever works for you", but generally, we should all be riding, either as an operator or passenger, on the ***** of our feet.

Placing our foot arches on the pegs, except when shifting or braking, is lazy. As an operator, you risk catching your toe on the ground in corners if you are riding on your arches, and you won't be able to counter-steer through the pegs as effectively (If you want to knee drag, ***** on the pegs is critical). As a passenger, you are at risk of getting your toes in the way of the bike operator if you are not on your *****.

Regarding your particular problem of a passenger's feet becoming fatigued by placing the ***** of her feet on the pegs, you may be able to modify some sport touring or cruiser pegs, which usually are wider with rubber grips, to fit.

If you are lucky, you'll find a chrome pair with flames & skulls that bolt right on!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been looking online and have found lots of aftermarket ones. The problem is knowing if they will actually fit properly. Our's open at an angle with the surface perpendicular to the ground. The other thing is it uses the inside flare as a stop. I don't know if an aftermarket one would. Lastly I need to find one with the right opening size. Our's uses a 3/8" bolt to secure it to the bike.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I told her next time to try wearing boots instead of tennis shows
Do you want me to turn this into an ATGATT thread?
Boot are probably your simplest solution, and your wife's safest...

Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I sell parts in 130 countries throughout the world, for a MAJOR online dealership. There are no aftermarket rear foot pegs for our klx250s or sf bikes.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mee2yoo
I sell parts in 130 countries throughout the world, for a MAJOR online dealership. There are no aftermarket rear foot pegs for our klx250s or sf bikes.
Thanks, that probably saved me a lot of time and agrrivation. I have a couple of mod ideas circulating in my head...

Old 04-14-2013, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gravel eddie
Wow, you can put two people on a KLX?

Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I use stock foots with extentions from bicycle pegs wrapped in black tape for traction

Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My gf have the same problem. She says that the pegs are too short, even if she wears good riding boots.

Quick Reply: Rear footrest options