Re-packing the aftermarket exhausts like BigGun

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Default Re-packing the aftermarket exhausts like BigGun

Hi all,

I've been enjoying my KLX completely stock as I've been busy with life/work, but I'm gathering parts for "medium-level" modding at this time.

This includes Big Gun EVOx full exhaust system. I ordered from motorcycleparts.biz like everyone else ($390 vs. $480 direct from Big Gun), and it is backordered "2-3 weeks probably". Their biggest BG system seller -- "can't keep 'em in stock". (Let's hope the right pipe is in there and the end cap screws come out!)

As I explained in other threads, the BG chief told me the vortex insert that comes with the full system kit was designed for MX bikes that want to slip it in and out whenever they venture on a public forest trail with decibel limit rules, but is not designed for permanent use and won't last long that way. The quiet core is designed for permanent use, and is somewhat quieter and yes of course more restrictive (that's the trade-off, right). SO...I ordered the quiet core direct from Big Gun for $50 and I'll put it in at some early point in the system's life, as this is a dual sport (and not an MX bike) and ridden that way. To order it, don't use the online system -- call and order verbally telling them you need the 15" quiet core and what bike it is for.

Now to packing. Big Gun tech guy told me today to re-pack every 20 hours, although some guys try to squeeze 30 hours out of it, which he doesn't recommend because the packing is insulation and when its deteriorated then the can (aluminum) gets too hot and too soft/stressed. Don't let this go; should re-pack. As LordVngr noted in another thread, Big Gun has a stainless packing that is $60 but is said to last "up to 60 hours especially if dual sport riding and not MX" per the tech guy. The website shows the stainless available for some other system, but they make packing for any can with this stuff by request, so to order it, call them (don't use website online ordering) and order, verbally telling them you want the stainless repack kit and what bike it is for so they get it right.

Yes, the Big Gun is more expensive than you thought after adding the $50 quiet core and the $60 repacking every 60 hours. (Makes the stock KLX300R exhaust sound like a better deal?!)

Anyone running their Big Gun (or Muzzy for that matter) past 20 hours and no repacking yet? What have you noticed about heat/color/sound changes? Gonna repack?

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Re-packing the aftermarket exhausts like BigGun

I have close to 1500 miles on my Muzzy, not sure how that relates to hours, but at an average of 30 mph around here its at least 50 hrs., I really don't want to do anything with it, but I think its getting a little louder. I am hoping that someone will post a pictorial of how to re-pack these things, and a cheap place to get the material.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I was going to get the stainless steel repacking from my local dealer, but he cautioned me against it, since it was a lot of money for basically steel wool. I've read elsewhere a couple things that kind of agree with what the dealer was telling me, so I tend to believe him.

Here's a couple of points that I've noted over time:
- Big Gun's fiberglass packing is good because its a continuous strand and does not "blow out" as easily. Other fiberglass packing works just as well, but does not last as long.
- Any steel wool that's stainless can be used (except of course for Brillo pads with soap [:'(]), but does not work as well as a fiberglass packing, however it does last longer.
- Just removing the endcap to inspect the packing could be misleading -- the packing at the head pipe end must be checked because it takes the most punishment (i.e.: pull the core out to inspect the whole thing).
- MX racing is much harder on the packing (and your whole bike, for that matter) than riding trails and road. (20 "MX" hours does not equal 20 "trail" hours)
- Letting the packing deteriorate increases the sound level and causes temperatures in the silencer to rise, eventually leading to structural damage of the silencer.
And finally,
- if you installed your Big Gun exhaust and started your bike even just once, your warranty is null and void.

Take all this with a grain of salt, since this information is not first hand (except for the Big Gun warranty crap)!!!

But I hope it helps anyway.

Mike

P.S. - I recall somewhere that Muzzy exhausts can/should be repacked, also, but require the rivets to be drilled out. (Again, this is second hand info!)

Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 AM

i probably had at least 40 hours on my stock big gun packing before repacking, and it still looked pretty good when i took it apart. i just used some fmf 4 stroke $10 packing for the repack and it seems to be working just fine.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
1st Gear Member

another reason for me to buy the Staintune, it NEVER needs repacking