Rate your plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
Not really. Multi-ground plugs do serve a specific purpose and that's to provide more than one useful spark gap. That way if one is more fouled or eroded than the other you still get a good spark. They also wear slower than regular plugs.
Multi-grounds, like Golden Lodge, were very big before rare earth metal tips became popular because of their longevity. A friend of mine used to own Alpha Romeos. One in particular, and Alpha-Sud Ti, used those quad electrode Golden Lodge plugs. He tried regular plugs in it, good ones at that, and they lasted under a thousand Ks. When he checked why the car was running like crap, besides it being a Friday and due for it's weekly tune-up the side electrodes were all but GONE. These days you'd just use platinum or Iridium plugs, but this was before they were available. That Sud also had an 80KV coil output. Vicious little thing it was.
Well, yeah...but once again it sounds like we're talking antique British bikes with sorry carbs and lousy electrics...and weekly tuneups. I don't use a points file anymore either.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I still have mine ... somewhere.

I remember seeing a plug that had a circular side electrode. The idea being that a regular one slightly shrouded the spark and this new design, which was also a fixed gap, would last longer and give more reliable ignition since the spark was completely exposed to the fuel/air mix. I don't know if they're still around or people thought they were too gimmicky.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dark Angel
I think I still have mine ... somewhere.

I remember seeing a plug that had a circular side electrode. The idea being that a regular one slightly shrouded the spark and this new design, which was also a fixed gap, would last longer and give more reliable ignition since the spark was completely exposed to the fuel/air mix. I don't know if they're still around or people thought they were too gimmicky.
Is that a surface gap plug that you're describing? Remember the very first year of the Kawasaki H1 500cc 2-stroke triple? It had surface gap plugs and a crazy strong electronic ignition system that even involved a small magneto/distributor setup. It takes a really strong ignition system to adequately fire surface gap plugs, for the most part. Man, if you were working on one of those early model H1's while it was running, like tinkering with the carbs or such, and you bumped up against that distributor and its wires, you got a shock that would knock the snot out of you. Way worse than anything I ever felt even out of a late model MSD box and Supercoil combo.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

That's the kind of thing I mean, but the ring electrode sat slightly above the surface with gaps underneath it. When it fired it looked kind of like a little blow torch as the design shot a jet of flame straight down from the plug.

and yeah, magneto ignition hurts like a bytch! You never forget your first bite from those.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
It's harder to read spark plugs today. Fuels, cleaner running combustion chambers, and better ignitions seem to make any plug that's running even close to optimum look about the same. It's only when they're running fairly rich that you can see that.
Truer words have never been spoken. With modern fuel, and 4 stroke singles, reading plugs is essentially a waste of time. If your plug has that nice tan look, you're WAY rich. 2 strokes may be the same, but I don't have experience with them. My bike still has the original plug at 14,000 km.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I just changed my stock plug for the 1st time at 6k miles not cause it ran bad I just thought it time. Put the same plug (new) back in. The old one was gapped wide and a little rich (tan) looking but I already know I'm a little rich.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone experiment with side gapping plugs? I always forget about it when I'm changing plugs.