The on ramp challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Your "engine builder" is correct - in general, advancing or retarding an automotive cam will slightly shift peak TRQ on the RPM scale - usually without actually adding additional TRQ.. The variances are slight as such cams cannot be taken very far away from "standard straight up indexing"..

The MCM operates on a whole different level / playing field from the above. We are not re-timing a cam. We are advancing the intake cam 10.5° and retarding the exhaust cam 10.5° !!
This is a profound alteration to valve events, combustion characteristics, VE, dynamic compression ratio, etc etc..

Given the flow characteristics and power propensities of the intake ports, exhaust ports, along with "external" mods to both the induction and exhaust systems, such a revamping of valve events can and will make more TRQ if it capitalizes on untapped potential . WIth our KLX's, it does just that.

Given the data I do have, and extrapolating to other mod combo permutations - it is clear MCM makes more peak TRQ than standard timing, moves the TRQ ramp-up-to-peak down about 1000rpms, expands the " 90%( and up) of max TRQ" by at least 500 rpm, and produces same-as TRQ (to stock timings) above TRQ peak to redline.

It don't get any better than this - MCM is a Win WIn situation..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

would be funny if kawa did the mcn mod as stock for 2019.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes of course this is all in fun, because even if this happens the variables will would make the challenge a run what you brung dealio. Everyone’s bike could be modified extensively, there’s no way to confirm if someone has full race porting vp12 etc etc.
If retiming the cam has such tremendous gains everyone would be doing it, Detroit included. I’m sure factory Kawasaki would have already explored this theory. VW dial in cams were available back when along with reversion cone exhausts. Some things work, some things fade away.
The on ramp challenge still would be a simple test

Old 09-16-2018, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

It wouldn't be the first time a motorcycle manufacturer didn't do what is sensible. After all, Kawasaki has stuck with the ratchet style tensioner that has proven to be less than reliable for a couple decades now. I had them go bad in a 95 650 and an 09 250, made a bunch of manual tensioners for similar bike too, so that's a 14 year span for a part proven to fail in many cases. Honda had the Nighthawk S with similar cam timing, gave it a lumpy idle, seems when the timing was reset, similar to the work done in the MCM, the bike pulled stronger at lower rpm through the range for better all around performance, giving up a minor loss of hp at ten grand. Joe Minton did the work in a magazine article on Dr. Harry Hurt's Nighthawk - yes that Dr. Hurt. He was a motorcyclist as well as a researcher.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Yes of course this is all in fun, because even if this happens the variables will would make the challenge a run what you brung dealio. Everyone’s bike could be modified extensively, there’s no way to confirm if someone has full race porting vp12 etc etc.
If retiming the cam has such tremendous gains everyone would be doing it, Detroit included. I’m sure factory Kawasaki would have already explored this theory. VW dial in cams were available back when along with reversion cone exhausts. Some things work, some things fade away.
The on ramp challenge still would be a simple test
"If retiming the cam has such tremendous gains everyone would be doing it,"

Everyone that is capable SHOULD be doing it - the vast majority of owners are not capable and should not even think about it..

"Detroit included. I’m sure factory Kawasaki would have already explored this theory. "

Nope - cams control emissions. EPA emission testing requires that all low to medium throttle settings and light load accelerations must be within legal limits. And FYI - MCM leaves the exhaust valve open longer while at the same time opening the intake valve sooner - not the optimal tweak for emissions..

Attempts to bolster an argument against proven power enhancements with flawed superficial suppositions will not fly in here as long as I am around.

However, not to worry, I'll help you..

Given what we know and can reasonably extrapolate, MCM may not be optimal for attempting to mod a KLX for max top end power.. Any performance "nut" that cannot perform the MCM should plan to maximize KLX power from 6000 - 10,500 rpm - Full exhaust system, lidless airbox with attending lidless CVK setup, a 13 tooth primary ( or larger secondary) .... There will be a TRQ loss, from stock, below 5000 rpm, so keep it revved !

Old 09-16-2018, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I just read where a rider at the ADVrider site put in a new cam, I think exhaust. Seems he can't get the alignment marks to line up, the new one is a half tooth off

." Not sure what changed but when I had to replace my cams the exhaust cam had a new parts number. With the new cam I couldn't line up the marks with the head as outlined in the manual. It was either 1/2 tooth advanced or retarded. I set it advanced, runs fine. "

Sound familiar? That was the end result of the MCM, 1/2 tooth advanced.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the MCM retards the exhaust cam 1/2 tooth and advances the intake cam 1/2 tooth.. When I'm helping members with it, I explain that when done correctly, you will have rotated the cams toward each other 1/2 tooth.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Just remember I’m trying to find out if a mcm modded bike is faster period. Not talking up a storm with claims over and over and over. I just want to cut out the bs and see, you know proof not just lip flapping. Prove it. 0-60 times, side by side comparisons, something to go by other than dyno graphs that could be manipulated by any dyno operator.
You did a wheelie vid, which doesn’t show much except that there are lots of others vids out there with capable riders doing long wheelies on stock klx.
If I had someone asking to prove my shxt I’d do my best to prove it, cause it sure looks like your relucant to do so

Last edited by RaceGass; 09-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I've proven it - you just won't accept the hard data - nor will you accept the dynobutt data of the members running it..

Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Just remember I’m trying to find out if a mcm modded bike is faster period. Not talking up a storm with claims over and over and over. I just want to cut out the bs and see, you know proof not just lip flapping. Prove it. 0-60 times, side by side comparisons, something to go by other than dyno graphs that could be manipulated by any dyno operator.
You did a wheelie vid, which doesn’t show much except that there are lots of others vids out there with capable riders doing long wheelies on stock klx.
If I had someone asking to prove my shxt I’d do my best to prove it, cause it sure looks like your relucant to do so

Like a rider's performance doesn't color a drag race. Get real. This is your tilting at windmills. You are the challenger, you are the one that should prove your claim.

Quick Reply: The on ramp challenge