Radiator Guards

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Radiator Guards

Has anyone by chance sourced any radiator guards for our bike?.

I've already done mild damage to my right radiator in a tip over in the snow this last December and have been meaning to find some for sometime now, but have'nt found a thing so far. Theres just no support for the radiator/shroud if the bike lands on a hill, rock, etc just the right way and radiators are needless to say insanely expensive.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Radiator Guards

I've got a pair of KLX300 radiators that I got off e-bay as a "just in case" item. With the stock radiators costing over $900 to replace both with OEM parts, I figured a decent buy on some spares might be worthwhile. PM me if you are intested. I no longer own a KLX so I can't use them.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The only reason that you would need radiator guards would be if you crash alot and it looks you might have taken a good one or you go bashing through the rocks because them rocks look nice when passing them but when you fall on them they are like evil gremlins.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If you throw the bars toward the fall it should protect the bike.Make sure you have the hand guards on the bike, that also helps. However that's just a theory that I came up with.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

If you throw the bars toward the fall it should protect the bike.Make sure you have the hand guards on the bike, that also helps. However that's just a theory that I came up with.

[&:]

Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Well the radiator damaged I suffered was on the right side and extremely mild, it was just bad luck as my leg got caught against the radiator and a rise in the surface when I lost footing in the snow, just bad luck.

I don't drop the bike very often, however I do /alot/ of heavy rock crawling, etc, in some of the OHV parks in my area and a great deal of it is area where if you go over at all, your buying some new parts somewhere. I'd prefer it be panels rather then radiators if it happens...

The reason I have'nt looked into radiator guards as much as I should have is I also ride very hard when I'm clear to ( MX rider since 8 years old ) and though its not an MX bike its still capable of going fast enough if you wreck, bike parts are going to be flinging through the trees. If you wreck the wrong way hard enough strong enough radiator guards can damage the frame, where as the radiator might have absorbed it and saved the frame.., a definite pro/con thing.

In any case, I want to find some good guards for the rock crawling I do, that way a low speed tip over might not cost me a radiator if it happens to be in the wrong place. I'll have to get some good pictures at some point so you all can see the turf I'm intending them for.
Fun as heck!, but man bike parts don't last long on rocks and boulders if bad luck strikes.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I had a look round about a year ago and couldn't find any, good luck
cheers