quick kickstart question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default quick kickstart question

Finally got to take my bike to the trails. Came home and ordered F&R TM's ultra heavy duty tubes, rim locks, 13t CS, skid plate and hand guards. So I've spend my paycheck this week. Thank god i quit smoking. Kinda looking around for my next investment. Looking at a DJ next payday...... Would like a two brothers exhaust. I did realize in the middle of nowhere a kickstart would be awesome because I seem to stall alot. I've spent an hour searching, but can't find a price. How much does the kit cost and whats everyones experience kickin this bike.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

klx300 kit maybe?
i know there are write ups on here somewhere about people installing kick starters.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Copy me on the kickstart

I have bumped into a thread on here with something about a kick start. I will be watching as I would also like to install one. I have the worst luck with batteries lately!

Going for the Safety course tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
1st Gear Member

look on bikebandit for klx250 oem parts and in the option accessories there is a kick-start listed. Its about $300 by memory for an 06 one. There is somewhere else that’s a little cheaper but cant remember the site.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-24-2011, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

My KLX has the kicker installed. This bike is easy to kickstart. So far I have not needed to use it but I have definitely been with other riders when their batteries died while trying to start the bike on a cold sub freezing morning at the trailhead.

The 09 and up bikes also need the old 06/07 style footpeg mount which costs about 75$ shipped. So consider that additional cost vs. the 06 bikes.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

So, does anyone know without a doubt if the 2006 model needs the ACR mod or not for easy kickstart?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I seen a very good writeup on here with all the pics on how to install one...did not look easy at all. I think it is the person with a white tiger or something for an avatar. If I remember right...but do some searching it should be on here

Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

This is the thread for the kickstart install:

Kickstarter Install w/pics - Kawasaki Forums

Old 05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it does look easy. In fact, much easier than a valve adjustment. Look at it this way, when you change your oil filter you have to take off a couple of screws and remove the filter cover. Okay, no big deal. Take off a few more screws and the whole side cover of the engine comes off. Cool. Now you just need to take off some much bigger nuts and the whole side of the engine is stripped and ready for you to put the kickstarter on and reassemble. The kickstarter install requires no special measuring, or setting of clearances or tolerances. It is just to take it apart and put it back together backwards job. The biggest challenge will be to keep track of the parts and to reassemble using a torque wrench.

So a low skill, high patience (organization) job. Regular hand tools.

Yes, I've had bike engines down much much farther to replace transmission gears. There is nothing overly complicated in these engines except cam timing and valve trains.

You can save all disassembly of the sprocket side of the engine by slipping a penny in the gears between the crank gear and the clutch gear to allow you to loosen the clutch nut. The Honda manuals told you to do this and I see no reason not to do it with the Kawi.

Read the manual, read these excellent how-tos, and then decide if you have the confidence. You have the skills, it's the confidence and the patience that most people lack when deciding to attempt a job like this.

Quick Reply: quick kickstart question