Questions about Replacing Throttle Cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Default Questions about Replacing Throttle Cables

Howdy folks!

Well, I installed my new Tusk Raptor bars this weekend, and as reported in other posts, the throttle cable is just a pinch too short when the bars are cranked hard to the left. I think it is okay the way it is, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I am wrong. With that in mind, I think I am going to investigate replacing my throttle cables for ones that are about an inch or so longer.

That leads to a few questions:

1. Does anyone know the length of our cables?
2. Any chance someone knows of a source for custom lenght cables?
3. Anyone know of a motorcycle model that would have cable that are a little longer than ours?
4. Is there anything I need to look out for that would make a cable incompatible with our throttle or carb?

I have never worked with these parts on a bike other than the KLX250S so I don't know if what we have is pretty much like everything out there or if there are things about our setup that is unique.

Thanks for any advice,
Chris

Old 04-03-2007, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Questions about Replacing Throttle Cables

Chris, Dont know where to get cables or how much they cost but with the Mikuni carb my cable problem went away. That is the route that I recommend to fix the problem. Yea...that's the ticket.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:05 PM

Johnny, I bet you were always the kid that other kids parents worried about, weren't you. You definitely fall into the "bad influence" category.

All joking aside, I am hoping in a big way to do the 331/340 mod plus pumper carb over the summer. It's a long shot, but if the stars align, then it might work out for me. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry man, just had to toss that our there. But seriously if a new cable, just guessing, cost 70 dollars and you buy the new carb instead, then that's hew much less you actually pay for the carb. I also have a wierd way of justifying how to spend my money foolishly.

To address the problem at hand, I slid the throttle assembly about 1/4" toward the center of the bike and tilted the handlebars a little forward to get enough slack . That gave enough slack in the cable but left a gap between the hand guard and the outside of the throttle assembly. Just another option.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnyz62
To address the problem at hand, I slid the throttle assembly about 1/4" toward the center of the bike and tilted the handlebars a little forward to get enough slack . That gave enough slack in the cable but left a gap between the hand guard and the outside of the throttle assembly. Just another option.
That's probably what I will do for the time being.

BTW, I use the same cost justification logic as you do. Believe it or not, I used that logic in all innocence to convince my wife that not only would the bike be a fun toy for me to have, but we actually NEEDED for me to get it in order to save money on gas for my commute. I drive a 1997 Ford F150. It gets about 15-16 mpg, and I have to use premium gas in it or it knocks and pings like crazy. I figured up that I was spending $191 a month on gas for it. Armed with this data, I was able to convince my wife that the bike would be a reasonablecost savingoption. At the time, I truly believed it as well. It has been so long since I owned a bike that I never thought to figure in the "mod factor". Actually, I have only owned one other bike (Yamaha street cruiser about 15 years ago), and for whatever reason I never did much of any mods on it, so I was more than a little naive.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, I guess. Let's just see how this one ends.