Purchase Advice Needed on KLX vs KLR

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Default Purchase Advice Needed on KLX vs KLR

I am looking at a 2007 KLX250S that has 0 miles and has been stored inside. The bike was a prize that was won but has never been ridden. Since the owner titled it the warranty has expired. My question is should I have any concerns as to buying this 2 year old bike with 0 miles and no warranty? Is it common to have a few issues that a warranty would usually cover? The price is $3,500.00.

The other bike I am looking at is a 2004 KLR 250 with 1,400 original miles in mint condition @ $2,100.00.

I am new to bikes (have ridden but never owned) and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Go for the KLX good price great little bike, you will not regret it. If the bike has not been ran I would put a few drops of oil into the cylinder and crank it over to lube everything before starting the bike. I have had mine since March 2007 and have had Zero issues with it. I even purchaced 4 more years of warranty from kawi just in case. Buy a service maual and do your own repairs.

Ken

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What do you want to do with the bike?

The KLX and the KLR are quite different. The KLX is much lighter and more dirt capable. It is a good around town commuter, but highway stretches get old fast. The KLR is much larger and heavier, which is not a problem if you are a good size guy. The KLR is also a good commuter and is at home on the highway for extended periods. It is a much more comfortable bike even with the stock seat. The KLR is at home on gravel roads and fire trails, but the KLX can handle dirt that the KLR can't. I'll take a KLX on single track but not a KLR.

I'd lean toward the KLR based on price.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

you didnt mention what your plans for the machine are.. tell us what type of riding you will be doing.. passengers much? long highway trips etc etc etc... the 2 bikes you are looking at fill 2 completely different purposes.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX can do everything the KLR can do but the KLR will struggle more off road.

Get the KLX.
They are very reliable and strong so the no warranty is no biggie.
Mine has never missed a beat.
The KLR won't hace warranty either.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

He's talking KLR250, not KLR650, so the difference between the bikes is a lot less than I think you guys are thinking.

Still though, the KLX is the better bike, more capable suspension, brakes, etc. KLR has a 17 inch rear wheel also, which is harder to find good tires for. Between those two bikes, definitely go for the KLX.

KLR250S

Old 07-20-2009, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
He's talking KLR250, not KLR650, so the difference between the bikes is a lot less than I think you guys are thinking.

Still though, the KLX is the better bike, more capable suspension, brakes, etc. KLR has a 17 inch rear wheel also, which is harder to find good tires for. Between those two bikes, definitely go for the KLX.

KLR250S

my bad.. missed the 250 bit.. saw the klr.. definitely klx if i had to choose one.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I agree Brian.
Over here both would fit in the trail bike category and not the enduro class.
The KLX is a better bike but its not chalk and cheese.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Oops, reading comprehension...I missed the KLR250 bit also.

No question then - the KLX is a more capable bike.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I rode a KLR 250 and a 650 and of course I have the 06 KLX. My choice would be the KLX 250 hands down. Oh and a warm welcome to the forums. Oh yea that's another reason to buy the KLX. Then you can become a part of the greatest Kawasaki forum out there. That's worth a lot in my opinion. Any issues you may have with the bike can be resolved here. I bought the added 4 year warranty, and I'm glad I did. I had the ACR and the chain tensioner replaced all under warranty. Although the mechanic told me that it was "normal noise" that I was hearing. I pushed, and they obliged. Good luck on your decision.

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice Needed on KLX vs KLR