prob.cold start,noobie..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

A neat trick I've learned form here on the forum is to pull the choke out as the bike is turning over to start, there is a sweet spot right before the choke **** pops out to the lock position where it will start and when it pops out fully to the choked position it will then stay running.

Last edited by linkin5; 03-05-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spillen
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Wont Start

Thank you David R
I really hate to start drilling, I just got off the phone with a Tech that sent me the e-mail I posted in my last post And he said do not modify anything, If I do I stand a good chance of my warranty be voided.
I'll let them see what they can do, And I guess if what ever it is doesn't work I'll have no choice but to drill, I purchased this bike to save some money on gas, If all it does is sit in my garage, I wont save any money and I just added a couple new payments to my bills. The bike and insurance.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLXMIKE
Thank you David R
I really hate to start drilling, I just got off the phone with a Tech that sent me the e-mail I posted in my last post And he said do not modify anything, If I do I stand a good chance of my warranty be voided.
I'll let them see what they can do, And I guess if what ever it is doesn't work I'll have no choice but to drill, I purchased this bike to save some money on gas, If all it does is sit in my garage, I wont save any money and I just added a couple new payments to my bills. The bike and insurance.
Mike, the mention of the KACR compression release is a not a common problem, and I seriously doubt that will be your problem, though nothing is impossible. A too small brass starter jet in the float bowl area of the carb has been the common problem for cold starting on these bikes, and it's happened before on other bikes with similar starter jet designs. When I worked at a Kawasaki dealership in the past, we had a run of similar problems with the late 70's KZ650's. Unfortunately we had to drill 4 starter jets in that case.

If you're lucky enough to get to talk to a tech or mechanic that knows something beyond what's in an instruction manual, just mention that many others have drilled the starter jet out to .018" on bikes that have had similar cold start problems with great success. Most bike shops have an index drill set for carb jet drilling and other small drilling jobs that will have a .018" bit. This is neither rocket science nor brain surgery. The starter jet is a pressed in unit, so you can't just replace the jet with a larger one like many of the other jets in carbs. Drilling it out affects no other operation of the carb except when the choke is used, so you're not burning a serious bridge here. Here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails prob.cold start,noobie..-starter-jet.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank You TNC,
Having the picture is great. Now I know what to look for, I didn't think the KACR compression release, Would be the problem either, I'll give them one day then I'll either drill the jet myself or pay the $60.00, The Dealer said he would charge, I just don't want to mess up the Warranty. My Dad was a machinist so I'm sure he has a .018 drill bit.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as voiding your warrenty goes, unless you told the dealer you had done this it would be very hard to tell the bike was anything but stock as the mod is a very small one.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I had my bike worked on, warranty work, after i had done alot to it.. rejetted, air filter, no snorkel, exhaust...

Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
As far as voiding your warrenty goes, unless you told the dealer you had done this it would be very hard to tell the bike was anything but stock as the mod is a very small one.
Yep, and some companies insinuate a little threat mentality about working on or modifying your bike, when in truth they can't legally void a warranty unless it's clear the mod caused a failure that the manufacturer is not responsible for...jetting a bike too lean and burning a hole in a piston for example.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

If your dad doesn't have the 0.018" bit, I found mine at a local hobby shop. Two in the package for $2. If you do it yourself, which I recommend, if you feel capable, for the experience of getting to know your bike better if nothing else, here are a couple helpful threads.
DirtSurfer's Mod Day
HMF

Old 03-05-2011, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

My dealer told me I could mod all I wanted and unless I did something stupid and blew it up the warrenty would be honored, luckily I've not needed to find out how truthfull he was.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default one more question

Thanks for your help,
I have one more question.
Is there anything on the other side of the jet you can screw up as the drill goes through?

Quick Reply: prob.cold start,noobie..