Pro-Taper Contour bars installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pro-Taper Contour bars installed

Took a few nights after work and most of this afternoon, but the Pro Taper Contour 1 1/8s bars are on with everything put back in place. Bend is Pastrana FMX, the bars are an inch taller than stock, plus the 3/4s inch rise of the fatbar adapters. I also cut them down a half-inch on either side, so the overall width is over an inch narrower than the stock bars. The clutch cable BARELY reaches... with the bars all the way left, there is almost no play in the lever. No binding or anything, just not alot of wiggle room. If anyone goes with an even higher bar, I recommend buying a longer cable. Took a fair amount of tweaking to make the handguards mount up, too. But all in all, I'd say it wasn't too hard of a job.

I've only had a chance to ride it around town and through the yard a bit (its been monsoon-like down here in Louisiana) but I can definately tell a huge difference standing up. No more hunching over to stand up. Feels kinda wierd sitting down, with the bars so tall and that half inch off the ends. I can't wait to ride it in the woods with these higher, narrower bars!!

Anyways, enough blabbing, on to the pixxars.

Name:  bars2.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  teethsaver.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  87.6 KB
Its a tight squeeze but the key fits over the mondo-pad.

Name:  bike-2.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  trimmedends.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  175.2 KB

I also put in a TwinAir filter and replaced the spark plug. If anybody is curious, the 128 main with the snorkel removed is pretty damn near perfect for our temps/altitude. The plug looked pretty good on the electrode. I pulled the lid off for a day but the bike surged and popped a bit, and it didn't run as good. It sounded cool but that's about it.

Only mod left that I wanna do is the Muzzy full exhaust, so I'll be saving my lunch money. Oh and when I finish this Monster Energy, the can will be going over the resevoir

Old 03-29-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice!!! I'll put that on my list to check it out.

I am thinking about the D-Flex Handgaurds.
Do you like your's?
How was the install?
Did you get them at Rocky Mountian ATV/MC?
If not, where? Rocky Mountian ATV/MC is out of stock...

Thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I love them. They are fantastic. Low price and plenty strong. Paid for themselves about 10x over since I put them on. If you notice the clutch-side is scuffed up? The day I put them on I had a bad encounter with sand on concrete at about 15 miles an hour. Woulda REALLY sucked if I hadn't had them. Lately, riding the tight singletrack, I give them a solid workout on trees.

Since they are universal, you will have to do some tweaking with either the stock bar or an aftermarket bar. Put them in a vice and bend away.

I got mine from RMATV last June. I noticed the big-bar adapters were out of stock, so it doesn't surprise me that the guards themselves are also sold out. I had to order the adapters from MCSS and they weren't quite as good as the Tusk ones my dad has on his DRZ, but they work.

I did a write-up on the install back in July, check it out if you're curious.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Right on.
Those are my next purchase.
- Troy Moto looks like they have a set.
http://www.troymotoworks.com/content...lex-handguards

I look for your write up... Thanks.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

looks freaking awesome, keep up the good work.