Poor performance of EFI model

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by thommo77
Top speed 106kms??? Thats gotta be bull****.
And whats with the 'Acceleration 0-100 km/h not tested due to overall poor performance.'
Who was 'testing' them? A grandmother??
Anyway, unfair comparison - the WR is a totally different bike, How else can you explain a price diff of NZ$4000 (US$2000)?
Yes, the comparison is a little unfair. But that's not the point.
The Kawasaki performed very poor even for a bike with 22 PS, only.

ENDURO is Germany's most recognized off road magazine for everything from DS to motoX bikes. I have to believe their data.

The test crew was astonished themeselfes so that they asked the guys from Kawasaki about the bike. Everything ok. The bike performes as planned.

A motorbike with 22 PS should go faster than 106 km/h, I guess. My first Kawasaki KL250A was faster with it's 17 PS in 1982, when I bought it brandnew.

They did'nt test the bike for acceleration from 0-100 because 100 is already too close to the bike's top speed of only 106 km/h. That would give an very unfair value for acceleration, so they did not print the data.

I'm sorry for my clumsy english, but that's all what's left from school some decades ago.
Regards,

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by wedge
I can imagine germany would let a 2 smoke (GASGAS) on the streets if they have problems with a little 4 stroke.
Yapp, you can get a 2-stroke street legal but with 9 PS, only :-(

Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

WOW--9?
how fast could one go with only 9 PS?
what size are those motors?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Svendura
Yapp, you can get a 2-stroke street legal but with 9 PS, only :-(
The Gas Gas Website I posted (the German distributer) appears to sell the Enduro models for use on the road in Germany. What gives?

Edit about the horsepower figure I quoted. The Initial Kawasaki KLX250R D1 (Circa 1994, 15 years ago!) put out 32 PS stock. The model really has gone backwards in terms of performance and FI has just about ended it's life. The 2007 model and earlier (carb' fueled) although meeting newer emissions laws were able to have the full 32PS liberated relatively easily without excessive cost to the owner. (cost me about AUS $350 all up.) The result is a very capable enduro bike that has surprised many of my riding friends who are on more competition spec bikes, e.g. WR250F, CRF250X or KTM250EXC.

Oh! By the way, welcome to THE forum.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 02-23-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF,, Yet the Yammi, "MIGHT" deffenitly out perform the KLX but it was like 1 G more than the KLX, so for the money,, Im very Happy with the KLX, Dont get me wrong,, If I was able to spend the extra dough I probably would have bought a DRZ or the Yammi WR250. I looked at all Three models and Liked the Yammi more, but the KLX looked better but for the money, I am very satisfied and besides, the KLX can be pretty much the same bike with the extra money anyway so it kinda equals out

Last edited by JRock420; 02-23-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the KLX is still doing strong here in the 'States. It took me over a month to get mine because every dealer had been selling out. For what it is (a DUAL sport bike) its perfect. The WR dual-sport is a race bike with lights. The KLX is a trail-riding bike with lights. I still don't believe, though, that the WR is U.S. $1000+ more bike. With a jet kit, gearing, and tires, the KLX is plenty bike for riding trails and commuting to class. If you want a race bike, the KLX is a poor choice.

As for the F.I.: Everything I've read says that there is no adjustability and that modding it with say, exhaust, won't help, because the bike isn't capable of adjusting the air/fuel properly. And the F.I. system is set up in a way that doesn't allow easily for aftermarket control units.

All in all, I'm glad we didn't get the F.I. version over here.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Well the KLX is still doing strong here in the 'States. It took me over a month to get mine because every dealer had been selling out. For what it is (a DUAL sport bike) its perfect. The WR dual-sport is a race bike with lights. The KLX is a trail-riding bike with lights. I still don't believe, though, that the WR is U.S. $1000+ more bike. With a jet kit, gearing, and tires, the KLX is plenty bike for riding trails and commuting to class. If you want a race bike, the KLX is a poor choice.

As for the F.I.: Everything I've read says that there is no adjustability and that modding it with say, exhaust, won't help, because the bike isn't capable of adjusting the air/fuel properly. And the F.I. system is set up in a way that doesn't allow easily for aftermarket control units.

All in all, I'm glad we didn't get the F.I. version over here.
I would think you could get a replacement chip for the computer to change the air/fuel ratio. But.....It should be able to handle a high flow exhaust without that. LIke everyone say's for like $2000 more you can mod the heck out of the KLX. It's not a fair comparison otherwise! Plus, The Kawasakis' have a reputation of going 100,000 miles. I don't believe you'll get near that on the Yami.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

one person says that it's unfair to compare the KLX to the WR and then others go ahead and do it.
what makes the Yami so much more if you call a grand a lot more pricewise is the chassis. The KLX chassis is chicken wire compared to the Yami aluminum work of art. Saying that though, still doesn't make me think the Yami is a $1000 or whatever it is better than the KLX. It is just an up to date motorcycle whereas the KLX is an old computer that someone has tried to update albeit hit it's updating abilities w/o changing major components.
however, the KLX still serves its purpose quite well and with a little uncorking an a full exhaust system, this motorcycle comes within 4-5 horsepower of the WR which is a lot more expensive to modify.
The WR also makes most of its power in the very upper reaches of rpms making it not as smooth and compliant as the KLX unless you're drag racing. lol

Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yugaiw89O
one person says that it's unfair to compare the KLX to the WR and then others go ahead and do it.
what makes the Yami so much more if you call a grand a lot more pricewise is the chassis. The KLX chassis is chicken wire compared to the Yami aluminum work of art. Saying that though, still doesn't make me think the Yami is a $1000 or whatever it is better than the KLX. It is just an up to date motorcycle whereas the KLX is an old computer that someone has tried to update albeit hit it's updating abilities w/o changing major components.
however, the KLX still serves its purpose quite well and with a little uncorking an a full exhaust system, this motorcycle comes within 4-5 horsepower of the WR which is a lot more expensive to modify.
The WR also makes most of its power in the very upper reaches of rpms making it not as smooth and compliant as the KLX unless you're drag racing. lol
You make several very good points that I completely agree with. I'll try and go in order.

The modability of the KLX can very easily (with bolt ons + jetting) can bring the performance very close to that of the WR in the raw power numbers department. If you're looking for numbers (which is dumb) its a wash. The $1000 saved by going with the KLX can immediately be dumped into exhaust, jetting, and gearing with change left over.

Also, the power range on the WR. IDK, the way I ride isn't *****-to-the-wall, 30 mph between every tree. I like the grunty nature of the KLX with the ability to run it up higher and spin. I would worry that riding the WR would require far too much speed to be in the fun power. I think, though, that issue is more personal preference than anything, depending on what type of trails you ride.

As for your first statement, which was probably directed at me, the whole point of this thread (and many others) is to compare the bikes. Its a dumb comparison IMHO, but that's what people ask, so I answer that question with my .02 worth. We have no choice but to compare them because they are 250 4-stroke dual-sport bikes.

BTW. Yamaha sucks. James Stewart now sucks for riding a Yamaha. All your base are belong to us, and YUT-UUGGGGH. The end.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

The Yamaha has got 32 PS and runs like hell:

I am not familiar with the term "PS" is this another way of expressing H.P. ?

BTW your English is probably way better than our German.

Quick Reply: Poor performance of EFI model