Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

ORIGINAL: batts65

Jen, I will speak from a mountain bikers perspective. I have been riding mountain bikes for about 16 years and have been racing downhill for 6 years. My true love is pedal bikes. In 2006 at the young age of 37 I bought a KLX 250. I had never even ridden a motorcycle until I bought this. Your bike skills will come in very handy getting used to this but there is so much to learn. As much as the throttle can get you into trouble it can get you out of trouble just as quick. I took the MSF course and it was very helpful and I highly recommend it. I can say that it will also help you progress on the mountain bike too by getting used to going fast. I hate being on the road and in traffic, but the KLX made sense as a bike to get me from home to the trail and back w/out a trailer or putting in the back of my truck.
I have had it for almost 2 years and only have about 1300 miles on it, I still love the mountain bike, but some days it is nice to get out to the trail and just fly around, think of your favorite DH trail, they usually last 3-4 minutes, on the KLX you will be on a DH type run for 2-3 hours if you want without stopping.

Congrats on the new bike, I love mine but I cannot let go of my mtb roots.
Steve
Wow, Steve...you must have been my silent, unknown inspiration! I, too, am jumping off this cliff at the young age of 37 although I've only been riding mtb seriously for about eight years and hitting the DH/freeride scene for the past four or five. Not a racer (at least yet...I've been told to give it a whirl but haven't yet), but oh how do I love the adrenaline rush of a sweet DH run or cleaning a nice coronary inducing drop. [sm=smiley4.gif]

Thanks for all your (and everyone's!) positive input and I can't wait to hit the trails...both with and without motor...and hope to see some of y'all out there!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

My Specialized M4 S-Works MTB which is fun but the Kawi has pretty much replaced it these days!

Name:  SPEC.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  87.0 KB

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll buy your S-Works! Last time I saw it Mark it was covered in spider webs!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Mark, nice cactus planter. I always liked cactus's or is that cacti?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I call them a lot of different things especially when I fall on them!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 AM

Congrats ont he new ride DirtGirl!
Take your time learning the basics about your bike. Ride your own ride when your with others, there's no trophy at the end of the trail!

Have Fun!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Steve, sorry I didn't welcome you way back in 2006, you must have slipped through my radar. 1300 miles in two years? Come on man I had that much in the first 3 months You can do better than that. Again welcome. Sorry for the late response.
That's ok, I am more of lurker and readwhat you guys are saying. I can rip apart a mtb and put it back together in no time. I am afraid to touch the KLX. Most of what you guys say goes right over my head.

I do about 12-15 DH races a year and that takes up a lot of my time and keeps me off the KLX, season starts in early may and you can tell by this photo it goes into November..

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...tyfinal006.jpg

edit: not sure why it only puts the link and not the photo??

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 PM

A few more steps conquered! MA learner's permit: check; SERIOUSLY wicked cool new helmet: check; boots: check; sweet Thor pants: check; Kawasaki financing signed: check; regisered for the MSF basic rider course: check (now let's hope time flies !!!)

Wow, am I PSYCHED!

And wait til you see me bounce off the walls when the bike is actually delivered!

p.s. and mucho kudos to my salesman who answered eleventymillion questions and never once complained about answering anything. that deserves an award because believe it or not, I hung out at the shop for almost FIVE HOURS sitting on the display bike, trying on helmets/boots/pants, and getting a myriad of information and it felt like I was there for only a few minutes. word up to anyone in MA that the folks at Performance Cycles were AWESOME and my sales guy George Keller totally ROCKED !! He'll even be delivering my bike to me once it's all built up.

p.p.s. oh and mucho kudos for all who are patiently suffering my kid the nite before Xmas excitement

Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet girl

Good start on the gear.... I would highly recommend a chest plate with coller bone protection, some elbow pads w/armor and of course HD Gloves.

The chest plate may seem like overkill at first....but I have taken a handle bar to the chest before, thought I was done ....I couldn't imagine for a woman.

Have Fun.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Sweet girl

Good start on the gear.... I would highly recommend a chest plate with coller bone protection, some elbow pads w/armor and of course HD Gloves.

The chest plate may seem like overkill at first....but I have taken a handle bar to the chest before, thought I was done ....I couldn't imagine for a woman.

Have Fun.
Thank you for the advice and it is well taken. I was spared that expense due to my aggressive mountain biking addiction that already has me equipped with a Dainese safety jacket (chest plate, articulated spine plates, scapula and collar bone coverage, and elbow/arm protection). I also bought the Thor low boots so that I can use my Race Face knee/shin guards under my pants. And last but not least, I have my Fox gloves that I purchase each year as a fresh set of mtb gloves and goggles that I've never used as I always just ended up using sunglasses with my full face helmet (but since that was for DH cycling use and not DOT, I had to purchase new...I'll post a pic of my new helmet at some point because I am totally enamored with it!). But keep any advice coming!!!

Quick Reply: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!