Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

Hi Jen,

You gotta get A KLX! They are amazing in every way. If I had to pick one word for this Bike it would be "forgiving." Forgiving because You can get out of most situations that would leave you on the ground on most other bikes. I hit the brakes in some mud today & got completely sideways and thought I was a Goner. To my amazement, I let off the brakes and she straightened right out. The light weight and low center of gravity rock. I have had it for 8 months and love it more every time I ride it. I am only 5'7" and 165 Lbs and It's not too much bike for me. I love Analog guages Vs. Digital so I would'nt like the '09 KLX but other than that, I would strongly consider waiting to get my hands on an '09. Good luck! Hope you get a KLX.
G

Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Very sage advise 473

Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

From a female perspective: I love my KLX too but I wouldn't say it's light compared to all the other MX bikes I've ridden over the years. My YZ 125 is about 75 pounds lighter, of course it isn't a dual-sport or a 4-stroke but the top heavy and tall KLX can be a lot to handle IMO.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

For the record, KX chain adjusters suck, the nut and or the bolt is always rounding off. No thanks I like the ones on the KLX waaaaaaaaay better.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 Loved the snail adjusters on my XRL also...but they're not pimpn' yo! so they are not as good

Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to suggest a KTM 200 XC-W.......sweet bike for your weight, wide ratio tranny and electric start....what more could ya ask for. It is a two-smoke so you'll have to bring oil but the bennies are worth it...... if I had to do it over I would have a 300 xc-w. Easy bike to tag your dealer will do it for ya......but the price is way high....bout 7K....btw my 3.2K klx is a nice bike......I heard good things about that new Yami.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LaurenOE

ORIGINAL: IG
some inaccurate info here in this post. First, you left out maybe the most significant DS bike made- the TE250. It's basically a 250 MX'er style of power (30+ rwhp) in a DS capable enduro. It's street legal right out of the box as well. The new '09 KLX (there is no '08 KLX250S) is just as capable off-road as the old one and could actually be better. How do you know it's geared more toward the street, have you ridden one? If you actually read the specifics on the new bike, you'll see they improved many areas that have been left untouched for years. It's got a newly designed D-section more rigid swingarm, larger spokes, larger and improved brakes and brake line, better footpeg positioning, improved lights and more capable digital instrument panel, KX style chain adjusters, better seat, beefed up tranny, better suspension valving, and fresh non 1993 era design. Now don't get me wrong, I love the look of the old KLX, but to water down the new one like you did just isn't fair. This bike is nearly here and it's going to make things very exciting. Plus, with two either red or green to choose from it's that much cooler in my book. Sure, an inch less travel but something tells me you'd never even touch that inch now would many others who ride the bike on this forum. New or old, which would you rather have? That's an easy one imo.
Whoa there...how can someone be inaccurate with an opinion?

All I said was "The 08/09 bikes have been cast a little more toward the street" how does that transfer to being "Watered Down?"

"Cast a little (as in small, insignificant, tiny) toward the street". No rear rack. Less travel. A rear fender that looks like it is not meant for mud/off road.

That's about all I meant in "A little". I didn't water the new KLX down.

Does the word "little" set you off?

You're right about the new KLX as being an '09 model. However since you are going to buy it in '08, it will depreciate as an '08 not an '09. That's why I said "08/09"

As for the most significant DS out there...the Husqvarna TE250..that's an opinion for sure.

The new KLX is going to be a great bike no doubt.

You're also very passionate about your opinion.

Home run on that reply!!![8D]

Old 02-11-2008, 05:21 AM
IG

ORIGINAL: LaurenOE

ORIGINAL: IG
some inaccurate info here in this post. First, you left out maybe the most significant DS bike made- the TE250. It's basically a 250 MX'er style of power (30+ rwhp)in a DS capable enduro. It's street legal right out of the box as well. The new '09 KLX (there is no '08 KLX250S) is just as capable off-road as the old one and could actually be better. How do you know it's geared more toward the street, have you ridden one? If you actually read the specifics on the new bike, you'll see they improved many areas that have been left untouched for years. It's got a newly designed D-section more rigid swingarm, larger spokes, larger and improved brakes and brake line, better footpeg positioning, improved lights and more capable digital instrument panel, KX style chain adjusters, better seat, beefed up tranny, better suspension valving, and fresh non 1993 era design. Now don't get me wrong, I love the look of the old KLX, but to water down the new one like you did just isn't fair. This bike is nearly here and it's going to make things very exciting. Plus, with two either red or green to choose from it's that much cooler in my book. Sure, an inch less travel but something tells me you'd never even touch that inch now would many others who ride the bike on this forum. New or old, which would you rather have? That's an easy one imo.
Whoa there...how can someone be inaccurate with an opinion?

All I said was "The 08/09 bikes have been cast a little more toward the street" how does that transfer to being "Watered Down?"

"Cast a little (as in small, insignificant, tiny)toward the street". No rear rack. Less travel. A rear fender that looks like it is not meant for mud/off road.

That's about all I meantin "A little". I didn't water the new KLX down.

Does the word "little" set you off?

You're right about the new KLX asbeing an '09 model. However since you are going to buy it in '08, it will depreciate as an '08 not an '09.That's why I said "08/09"

As for the most significant DS out there...the HusqvarnaTE250..that's an opinion for sure.

The new KLX is going to be a great bike nodoubt.

You're also very passionate about your opinion.

LOL, you must not know much about depreciation. By buying an '09, you are actually helping that area. You have a current model bike for two calendar years. As far as the TE statement, yeah it is my opinion, but it isway cheaper than a KTM and way more powerful than the other bikes you list except the DRZ which will make more torque. It's somewhere in the middle but to some, it's price is worth it as it is a true woods screamer that is dot legal as well. The new KLX is a 2009, let's not confuse potential readers. There's no '08/'09 model. I like to talk facts more than listen to someone post opinions. When I'm wrong, I'll fess up though. Calling the new KLX more roadworthy is watering it down to me. I'd say by getting rid of the rack it would be more off-road worthy. Racks are for road bikes, not dirtbikes. The beefier wheels/spokes, larger brakes, larger radiators, beefed up tranny, more rigid swingarm to me make it more off-road worthy.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 AM

I think the KLX250 would be a great starter bike, in its stock mode it has a very predictable power band. The suspension is very capable for starts and if needed can be beefed up. Before spending tons on new protective clothing check out ebay for some used stuff. Most important is the MSF class this should be top priority on your list. Maybe there is some KF members near you that could help you check out a used KLX before you buy. Good luck on your quest and welcome to Kawasaki forums.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

While i was on it for another post....

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Welcome aboard.The other bikes mentioned IMO are not even in the same class as the KLX.They are much more powerful and a bit taller in seat height.The KLX is pretty much just what you are imagining....As stated before somewhere else by a musician....
"If it looks good,
you'll see it.
If it sounds good,
you'll hear it.
If it's marketed right,
You'll buy it.
But...If it's real,
You'll feel it."
You should try on the other bikes for size and when you come back to the KLX you can ridicule the one moron around here.you will be happy.

Quick Reply: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!