Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Default Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

I am a long time avid cyclist in the arena of road riding and mountain biking (i.e., two wheels, no motor). My primary love has been trail riding, free riding, and downhilling. For those of you less familiar with this non-motorized sport my bike collection includes a road bike, an XC bike (5" front, 3" in rear travel) a freeride bike (6"x6") and a DH bike (8" x 8"). So I tend to lean much more towards the aggressive end of the sport but really enjoy all aspects of riding off road (and putting in some roadie miles as well). Oh, and FWIW, while I'm femaleI am also5'10 so no problemo on fitting a standard size moto.

But I have NO CLUE what exactly will fit my desire. I am leaning heavily towards the KLX 250 as I saw a used '07 today and it will allow me to fit in a little noodling on back roads (I have no interest in true motorized street riding) and won't require me to figure out a hauling option for a trail only bike. I have no interest in racing, but will want to dabble in lots of trail riding, maybe some enduro stuff (once I have a clue about it) and beyond that don't even know what to add for clarification. But oh yeah, $$$$ is an issue.

Can anyone chime in for some guidance? Is there a huge trade-off in trail capability by purchasing a dual use bike? Is it well worth the convenience and versatility? What abot the hassle of having to get a motorcycle license and insurance, etc? Do I need to plan to take a dedicated course (which means, urgh, another $$$ but may well be worth it???)

Please...all advice very much welcome and thanks in advance!!

Jen

Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!

Dual sports get you into more areas legally (At least in Wa. state). Most Forest Service roads require you to be street legal. The KLX250S is a light bike and can be made to be an awesome trail bike. I love it. Its pretty gutless out the door, but with all these "free mods" that are described in detail throughout this forum, its easy to bring it to life. Depending on your height, it may need to be lowered. That can be done easily. Deej's wife has a smaller bike that has a real low seat. I think it was a yamaha, If you are into aggressive, technical moves and want to get into it only as a sport, I would recommend looking at Observed Trials. www.pugetsoundtrialers.com . I did it for years, and had a blast! Those bikes are specifically made for dealing with technical obstacles that you can never accomplish on a MX or dual sport. However, its a whole different thing. One thing I can say, is it taught me that I was riding wrong for years... it focuses on balance, person/machine system interaction and makes you realize how you use your feet (weight distribution) in guiding the bike.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Welcome Jen, sounds like you are more at home on the trails than on the street, and that's cool. Have you sat on a KLX yet? keep in mind the it will settle in height a little after you ride it a while, and you can lower it if you need to. The mods will cost some but as mentioned in the above post there are a lot of low and no cost mods you can do to wake up the green machine.

Getting your license is a snap, my wife got hers and she had never been on a bike before I got her the XT 225. She passed the class and I was really proud of her for accomplishing it. As far as any "trade off" between a true off road bike and the KLX I don't see it as an issue. The bike will do anything you want it to.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you found the right bike. Being street legal opens up so many more possibilities. Also you say you have no interest in street riding now but that will come too I bet after you get the hang of a bike--it too tempting not to.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the fast feedback! I sat on the '07 yesterday and the fit seemed right on. And felt so good I haven't been able to get it off my mind since then!

Once I make the decision to pull the trigger I'll research the mods y'all have been referring to - oh and Deej, did your wife take the test cold turkey or did she do one of the commercial training courses first?

Thanks again everyone!

p.s. anyone in MA on this board that could chime in? I'd love to home some local help as well!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DirtGrlll

Thanks for the fast feedback! I sat on the '07 yesterday and the fit seemed right on. And felt so good I haven't been able to get it off my mind since then!

Once I make the decision to pull the trigger I'll research the mods y'all have been referring to - oh and Deej, did your wife take the test cold turkey or did she do one of the commercial training courses first?

Thanks again everyone!

p.s. anyone in MA on this board that could chime in? I'd love to home some local help as well!
Oh yea I guess I left out that part. I taught her the basics like the clutch walk and riding around the hood a little, then her and 4 other friends took the MSF two day class, and if you pass that you get a paper that allows you to go right to the DMV and get the endorsement.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Jen!

I am also 5'10". I was a XC racer in the early 2000's, so I know where ya coming from!
I've got a few bikes for sure, but my recent purchase of a KLX250s seems to be the one bike
that harkens back to my cycling racing days.

It's light, not too powerful and is very adept at taking in body english when things get a little
squirly. I love how light it is!!!

The KLX is a bit tall for a 250, but that is exactly what I wanted. Since you're a downhiller in the
cycling world, you recognize what travel is all about and the KLX has plenty.

I highly recommend the KLX250. If you can snag an 06-07 the better. The 08/09 bikes have been cast a little more toward the street.

People claim the 250 is underpowered, but I wanted something that was a close to a XC/DH bicycle as possible with an engine.

The KLX250 fits that to a tee.

If I were to do it all over again I'd say there really are only three bikes I would consider as trailbikes that will feel like Mt. Biking.

The Suzuki DRZ400
The Kawasaki KLX250s
The KTM450EXC

In my book the aboveare the only small Dual Purposetrail bikes that I would consider.

So here is how I sum up my bikes...

Suzuki DR650 - My BIG Dual Sport Adventure bike
Kawasaki ZZR1200 - My go insanely fast and sport touring-ride all day bike.
Kawasaki ZZR600/ZX6R - My Canyon, North Georgia Bike
Kawasaki KLX250S - My Trail / Mt. Bike bike.
Honda Ruckus (50cc) - My Post Office / Down town bike.

Oh and I didn't start out being a Kawasaki girl.

Honda was my first choice, but their line is un-inspiring these days.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
IG

ORIGINAL: LaurenOE

Hey Jen!

I am also 5'10". I was a XC racer in the early 2000's, so I know where ya coming from!
I've got a few bikes for sure, but my recent purchase of a KLX250s seems to be the one bike
that harkens back to my cycling racing days.

It's light, not too powerful and is very adept at taking in body english when things get a little
squirly. I love how light it is!!!

The KLX is a bit tall for a 250, but that is exactly what I wanted. Since you're a downhiller in the
cycling world, you recognize what travel is all about and the KLX has plenty.

I highly recommend the KLX250. If you can snag an 06-07 the better. The 08/09 bikes have been cast a little more toward the street.

People claim the 250 is underpowered, but I wanted something that was a close to a XC/DH bicycle as possible with an engine.

The KLX250 fits that to a tee.

If I were to do it all over again I'd say there really are only three bikes I would consider as trailbikes that will feel like Mt. Biking.

The Suzuki DRZ400
The Kawasaki KLX250s
The KTM450EXC

In my book the aboveare the only small Dual Purposetrail bikes that I would consider.

So here is how I sum up my bikes...

Suzuki DR650 - My BIG Dual Sport Adventure bike
Kawasaki ZZR1200 - My go insanely fast and sport touring-ride all day bike.
Kawasaki ZZR600/ZX6R - My Canyon, North Georgia Bike
Kawasaki KLX250S - My Trail / Mt. Bike bike.
Honda Ruckus (50cc) - My Post Office / Down town bike.

Oh and I didn't start out being a Kawasaki girl.

Honda was my first choice, but their line is un-inspiring these days.

some inaccurate info here in this post. First, you left out maybe the most significant DS bike made- the TE250. It's basically a 250 MX'er style of power (30+ rwhp)in a DS capable enduro. It's street legal right out of the box as well. The new '09 KLX (there is no '08 KLX250S) is just as capable off-road as the old one and could actually be better. How do you know it's geared more toward the street, have you ridden one? If you actually read the specifics on the new bike, you'll see they improved many areas that have been left untouched for years. It's got a newly designed D-section more rigid swingarm, larger spokes, larger and improved brakes and brake line, better footpeg positioning, improved lights and more capable digital instrument panel, KX style chain adjusters, better seat, beefed up tranny, better suspension valving, and fresh non 1993 era design. Now don't get me wrong, I love the look of the old KLX, but to water down the new one like you did just isn't fair. This bike is nearly here and it's going to make things very exciting. Plus, with two either red or green to choose from it's that much cooler in my book. Sure, an inch less travel but something tells me you'd never even touch that inch now would many others who ride the bike on this forum. New or old, which would you rather have? That's an easy one imo.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 PM

First thing Id have to say if this is your first bike its a good choice. Its not over weight, easy to handle in rideability and power. My 2 cents, if you have never ridden before ride it stock, get used to it then go for some mods.

If you havent ridden before, take the MSF class. Itll teach ya all the basics, you my not have to take the DMV riding test in your state, and you might get a insurance discount to boot.
Call the carrier you currently have and give them the VIN# so they can give you a accurate quote, then shop around a little.

The bike is very capable as it sits. You may want to do some suspension/brake mods as you get to know the bike and get a feel for it's weaknesses. Springs are the main thing to get the to your weight pending how heavy/light you are. The cool thing about this bike is the parts arent very expensive you you get a good bang for your buck!

BUY GEAR! Im sure you know riding DH you need some good gear. I highly recommend some good gloves, helmet and boots. Alpine Stars Tec 3's are around $130ish and, to me, more comfy than other boots in the price range. A good DOT moto helmet will run ya a little over $100, but there's a lot of choices and some a lot more expensive.

Also, before ya pull the trigger, check out the Kelly Blue Book and NADA value of the bike. Nice used ones are running in the 3-$3,500 range. You dont want to get suckerd out of $$$ before ya even get started! Also, look at the wear items, tires, chain/sprockets, ect to see if they need replacement. If they do try to work it in the deal somehow. Do a oil change first off, its cheap insurance and you know it's been done!

Most of all, have fun! Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IG
some inaccurate info here in this post. First, you left out maybe the most significant DS bike made- the TE250. It's basically a 250 MX'er style of power (30+ rwhp)in a DS capable enduro. It's street legal right out of the box as well. The new '09 KLX (there is no '08 KLX250S) is just as capable off-road as the old one and could actually be better. How do you know it's geared more toward the street, have you ridden one? If you actually read the specifics on the new bike, you'll see they improved many areas that have been left untouched for years. It's got a newly designed D-section more rigid swingarm, larger spokes, larger and improved brakes and brake line, better footpeg positioning, improved lights and more capable digital instrument panel, KX style chain adjusters, better seat, beefed up tranny, better suspension valving, and fresh non 1993 era design. Now don't get me wrong, I love the look of the old KLX, but to water down the new one like you did just isn't fair. This bike is nearly here and it's going to make things very exciting. Plus, with two either red or green to choose from it's that much cooler in my book. Sure, an inch less travel but something tells me you'd never even touch that inch now would many others who ride the bike on this forum. New or old, which would you rather have? That's an easy one imo.
Whoa there...how can someone be inaccurate with an opinion?

All I said was "The 08/09 bikes have been cast a little more toward the street" how does that transfer to being "Watered Down?"

"Cast a little (as in small, insignificant, tiny)toward the street". No rear rack. Less travel. A rear fender that looks like it is not meant for mud/off road.

That's about all I meantin "A little". I didn't water the new KLX down.

Does the word "little" set you off?

You're right about the new KLX asbeing an '09 model. However since you are going to buy it in '08, it will depreciate as an '08 not an '09.That's why I said "08/09"

As for the most significant DS out there...the HusqvarnaTE250..that's an opinion for sure.

The new KLX is going to be a great bike nodoubt.

You're also very passionate about your opinion.

Quick Reply: Pls Help a New Rider with Buying Decision!!