Pics of my oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pics of my oil leak

Mine always has chain lube(90 Weight) in that area.It always drips for the first few days after I lube it but then goes away. I still think it may just be from the initial chain lube done at the stealer.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vlodpg

PAGING DEEJ, PAGING MR DEEJ:

Dirty motorcycle cleanup in isle 4

I tried to look away, but the image was burned into my brainin a split second.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Gerry, Look at the first picture that Chrisposted of the underside of the factory skid plate.

That's a lot of "chain oil"?? Don't think so!

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

Mine always has chain lube(90 Weight) in that area.It always drips for the first few days after I lube it but then goes away. I still think it may just be from the initial chain lube done at the stealer.
[IMG]local://upfiles/7013/C2A6750120D9451DA9F0AC7A412A166B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 002197rp

Hey Gerry, Look at the first picture that Chrisposted of the underside of the factory skid plate.

That's a lot of "chain oil"?? Don't think so!

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

[IMG]local://upfiles/7013/C2A6750120D9451DA9F0AC7A412A166B.jpg[/IMG]
You are probably right. I guess I'm just a darn optimist.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

You are probably right. I guess I'm just a darn optimist.
hahaha, me too!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Optimism is my only hope, took the pics to the dealer, couldn't get the bike there today, they reckon it could be coming from the crankcase overflow, I'm not convinced, they asked to do another ride this afternoon and check a couple of spots, I'll also grab some of that spray foot powder so I can spray it first.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, if I said pull the 'output shaft' I didn't meant that. You remove the front sprocket (which happens to be on the end of the output shaft).Under the front sprocket is a collar. Pull the collar off and there is an O-ring under that.It's easy to change theO-ring in less than an hour with the right tools.

Here is what I wrote in the earlier post.

"It involvesremoving the front srocketandpulling the output shaft sleeve to replace an O-ring that is under that sleeve." 'Sleeve' = 'Collar' You pull the collar (sleeve) off of the end of the output shaft. Is that more clear?

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

tremor you think it will only take an hour to remove the ouputshaft.... i highly doubt that...how do you remove it? you maybe looking at a big tear down to get to that....

Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi All,

Did the powder trick this afternoon (Thanks for the tip), there is a definate leak coming from the back of the front sprocket, with the powder I can see it clear as day. Just got to get it back to dealer now.

Cheers
CHris.

P.S I didn't have any spray powder so I just tipped some in my hand and blew it on..

Old 11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the O-ring on the shaft is real easy. I havent pulled the actual oil seal, but you can see it as soon as you pull the CS sprocket. Don't you need some sort of seal puller for that? From the diagrams in the book, it looks like you are right (you can pull it from the outside of the case).

ORIGINAL: KLXer

I dont know how the KLX works but I have replaced a few countershaft seals. No need to remove the shaft, just remove sprocket, pull old seal, put new one on.

Edit: Just looked at the parts diagram, looks no different than what I expected, dont see why the above procedure is not the case.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
IG

these bikes have lubed chains from the factory. why would a dealer lube a brand new chain? they have that gunk on them, no need to lube when new. it's not lube anyways, it's oil coming from somewhere.

Quick Reply: Pics of my oil leak