Parts for 7500mile service

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I had went to Hot Cams site and tried to look up the right kit. When I tried to put in my bike it lists pretty much every KLX except for the 250 & 300. So....... How do I know which kit to order? I see in Dan's quote of NoBrakes they said a "7.48mm kit. I asume thats the diameter needed and what I should get. So...... I go to Hot Cams site again and look for a 7.48mm kit. They have 176 kits listed and they are not described just part #'s. Anyone know the part # for the proper Hot Cams kit.

Larry For me I would rather buy extra shims that I wont need than wait a couple weeks for the right parts once I open the bike up. Its one of those prices I pay for liveing on a warm sunny island surounded by fish.

Last edited by maninthesea; 02-13-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh yes, I forgot about your location.. I just know they're asspensive to be buying a lot of them!

Do you have any Kawi dealers on the island? They usually have them, and some will even let you trade for the shim thickness you need.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the kit that I bought from Dennis Kirk.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/pr...p148752&mmyId=

Part # 148751

Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

After reading various horror stories regarding engines gone bad in short mileage, I have checked my valves at 300, 800, 1500, 2500 and 3500 miles and they are still in spec at 5000 miles of wide-open hard use on freeways, highways and logging roads. I think I would want a kit if I lived in the Alaskan bush but if you have UPS, FedEx or have a dealer within 100 miles I would just check them every thousand miles and buy the shims as needed. Maybe if I have to adjust them a ocuple of checks in a row I'll buy the kit.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

There are smaller refill kits that just have a small range in sizes. I don't know about the klx but most motors seem to come with about the same stock shims and trend one way or the other for wear. Once that's established (by users) you usually only need those range of shims, not the whole kit. sorry but I don't know what our klx needs as i haven't had to shim or had reason to search it out. Hopefully some posts will follow.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I have committed myself to buying the hotcams kit in size 7.48mm I just dont know where I will get it from. I also have decided I want a valve cover gasket. They gfs has small band of oil/dirt around it at 200 miles. If mine does not need it hers will. I am not going to get the timeing chain right now.

So here is what I think is telling me I probably need to shim the valves.
1. Bike Pulls slightly less than it did 3500 miles ago. I was not sure if it was me getting used to it or the bike changing but the first day I had the bike my buddy could not pull away from me on his Harley when I was rideing 2 up. Now he can.
2. I get less miles before reserve. When I got the bike(3300miles) I was getting around 60-70 or more Now I get low 50's to mid 60's before reserve.

3. When I first got the bike it would start instantly no matter what I did with the throttle now I need leave the throttle closed for best results.

4. I used to be able to blip the throttle around full while at a stoplight and RPMS would Jump up and back down. Now if I do the same thing engine bogs and dies unless I give it kind of a 1/8th blip followed by full blip (I am sure this is a diagnostic tool used by all Kawi bro'canics

So.............Let me know if you think I may be correct or if I am smoking crack.
Cheers Jim

Old 02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I would just go ahead and measure the valve clearance (and record it) then remove the cams and measure and record the respective shims.

That is the only way you will really know what shims, if any, to get. If the clearances are correct now, you can buy the next smaller shim to have on hand for the next adjustment.

It's a little extra trouble but will probably save time and expense in the long run. If the valve cover gasket leaks you can do a temporary repair with RTV sealant until the new one comes in with your shim order.

Ron

Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks all
Ron With 2 KLX's thats 8 valves to potentialy shim. I feel haveing 3 of each shim might be worthwhile when the dealership here does not have a jet or a shim for the bike. In fact I plan on restocking any size of shim that gets down to less than 2
I purchased a hot cams kit and a KLX300 dyno jet kit. Also a 4 pack of turn signals(seem to be a consumable) Will be ordering barkbusters for her(As per her orders) and bar risers from twisted throttle. Will look into softer hand grips from them also.
Have decided to get 2 KDX200 snorkles and 1 valve gasket from the same source. Now trying to figure out what else I may want. Thinking it would be good Idea to get some more oil filters now that I have 2 bikes consuming my intial stock. Also would be good idea to get some exh gaskets, cyl base gasket and cyl head gasket or two. I am sure I will have the head and cly off sooner or later. any other OEM parts suggestions? Looked at my brakes and after 3500 miles they look allmost like new