Out with the old, in with the new

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Out with the old, in with the new

Wore out my Bridgestone E661 rear. Didn't take too long, I put it on back in Febuary. Here is is new, Dunlop in front, Bridgestone behind.

On the bike:

And here it is as it came off this evening. It held up pretty well, except for some chunking.

Will I buy it again? Probably not. It was fine, it hooked up well and I have no complaints, but there are equally good or better tires out there for the price. And it didn't last very long.

So now I get to finally try the new Dunlop. I've actually had this tire for about a year and a half. I originally bought it for my KLX but sold it before I got to put it on. Now it's on the KaBooM. If all goes as planned, we'll be riding a rough rocky area this weekend and the D606 should be a good tire for that.

A little back yard testing. The neighbors love me.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Out with the old, in with the new

i can't believe you were still riding with that tire. that thing is well beyond whipped. with all the cake you have you should be swapping out rears at twice the height of those *****

Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey that tire survived Coal Creek TN ...

... and the season opener of the NC Hare Scramble Association

I like to wear them out - but the last few rides it wasn't doing so great. [:@]

Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

the tire didn't survive.... you did.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331
the tire didn't survive.... you did.
Well I'm definately not posting any pics of how bad I let my ***** wear down before I replace them.....I'll get chased out of the forum like a carpet bagger.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

The 603's are incredible in the twisties. The 603's and brakes on the klx saved my life twice. I changed my rear tire at 1500 miles for my increased off road use, but, The 603 was still good on the road. The picture is of my rear 603 at 1500 miles and the front at 2,300 miles. I still have the front on at 2300. It's startoing to scare me a bit off road. My Kenda is great off road. I haven't ridden it as hard as my 603 yet(trying to conserve tread life)

Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Well I'm definately not posting any pics of how bad I let my ***** wear down before I replace them.....I'll get chased out of the forum like a carpet bagger.
I probably would have kept it on for a few more rides, but with where we are going this weekend, I didn't want the old tire on there. Need some fresh rubber for the rocks.

Hopefully I can get some pics. Not looking good right now, though. Just before uploading the above photos, I dropped my camera ever so perfectly into a big 32 oz "Big Gulp" glass of water. Don't ask. It's the kind of thing that if you tried to do it, it would happen in a million years. But there it went. Plop. [:@] Hopefully it dries out and still works.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh man, I have come so close to dunkin my sony camera so many times phishing and riding...but not yet....it has eaten a lot of salt spray, a tequila shot in Costa and tons of sand and rain......it may be an old DSC-V1 but it is a tough sum-beech and always dries out and works....but I do have to manually flip up the flash pop-up thing if its dark and when I do I can hear the salt crunch. lol

Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The new Dunlop got a pretty good workout today. HardTaco and I rode the Uwharrie OHV area. It was calling for rain and thunderstorms in the morning and afternoon, but we thought we'd chance it. Glad we did, the weather was great, not a drop of rain.

This was my first time there. Damn, those are some rough trails in some sections. Steep *****, too. This is where the local 4WD guys come to run their rock crawlers. The Dunlop 606 is a decent tire for the area, I have no complaints, it seemed to do a good job. It got a pretty good workout, along with me and the rest of the bike, but mostly me.

Here are a few pics to show some of the terrain. I've got a lot of helmet cam footage, but it will take a while to edit. Just pics for now.

At the top of a gnarly climb:

This is the trail. [sm=yikesomg.gif]

Back at the truck, tired and spent after 5 or 6 hours of taking all the punishment Uwharrie could dish out:

This is why I didn't want that old worn out Bridgestone on for what would surely have been it's final ride.