Oregon Dunes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Nah, it's great. You can actually ride ON the beach too. When I was there two years ago, there were three of us all doing donuts in the surf.

'Course soon as we were done, we were back at the hotel using a garden hose to wash the salt water off, but still, it was a blast while doing it.

Rob

Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG

I'm trying hard to figure out how to get a snowmobile for this coming winter. If you think dune riding is fun, you need to try mountain snowmobiling. It's just incredible.

Rob
+1 on that!!!

I rented once... dumped around $400 on 2 sleds so my daughter and I could ride one time. After that, I decided that if I wanted to ride more than a couple times a year, it would be WAY cheaper to buy than rent.

I now have about $3k invested in 2 sleds and a trailer, and I am able to go riding whenever I want, for only the cost of gas and oil. There's nothing quite like riding in a couple feet of powder... just gotta be smart and ride with a buddy though. Getting lost or breaking down in the mountains would certainly NOT be fun!

Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the one downside to snowmobiling is you really do need to ride with at least one other person. I've found a group size of 3-4 is ideal... if for no other reason than to have help getting unstuck.

I've also learned to avoid riding with people with heavily modded sleds. Those are the guys always breaking down. Leave the thing alone, do your yearly maintenance, and ride it. I remember one guy years ago had a fancy-schmancy custom sled (Tison chassis, PSI Genesis motor) and the thing blew belts every 100 miles, and it vibrated so bad that bolts were rattling out of it. 'Course it also made 350 hp. 1720cc 2-stroke triple. Yikes.

Rob

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
I was gonna ask if you shot that at Coos.. the terrain looked a lot like it. We'll be in Florence next weekend. We have paddle tires for both of our KLX's, but I'll have my Outlaw 525 IRS along too.

Does that KLX351 have stock gearing?

Rob
That is the Quad I wanted for a long time. Chose the Renegade for the 4x4. I ride it more then the KLX. Lots of steep trails around here.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

For trail riding, I'd rather have a 4x4 ATV.. the Renegade would rock. I love that thing, especially the new 1000cc model. I had a Sportsman XP 850 ESP. Loved it. Wish I still had it, but I never used it.

I've tried riding my Outlaw on trails. As long as they aren't technical, it does great. But trying to do steep, technical stuff is asking for trouble. If you end up coming to a stop, good luck getting it turned around. I'd much rather be on a bike in that case... at least if things go REALLY bad, the bike isn't as likely to kill you as an ATV, and you stand a better chance of turning the thing around. On a 4x4 ATV, though, you can usually come to a stop and restart without issue.

I've seen Renegades at the dunes with paddle tires. They've done pretty well. They sound wicked cool too.

Rob

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

idk about those 4x4 quads for real trails way heavy, and honestly for trails there's nothing better than an 85 atc350x love my 3wheelers idk if i could give up shifting for me thats part of the fun
and i have never liked the lack of power out of the hole a cvt has they never seem t have the guts like a manual i wish i could get my artic cat diesel with a 5 or 6 speed with high and low in it, the thing would kick *** if it did

Old 09-05-2012, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Having owned both do you think the 4 wheels are any safer than the banned 3 wheelers?

Only 3 wheelrs I rode was 250cc two stroke hondas on groomed sled trail and it was a blast!
Seems there is a quad injury every weekend around where I live, rolls over on them.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Having owned both do you think the 4 wheels are any safer than the banned 3 wheelers?

Only 3 wheelrs I rode was 250cc two stroke hondas on groomed sled trail and it was a blast!
Seems there is a quad injury every weekend around where I live, rolls over on them.
i think quads are way more dangerous than my 3wheeler, i can drag the bars all over the ground and just lean over and bring it back up where as a quad can only reach a point then they go over and thats it. so much safer

Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, Quads are way more dangerous than a Motorcycle. I was so against them before I rode one. To me they are a lot of fun. I ride my Quad on tighter and steeper trails then I would on my KLX. It is the people that think they are safer because they have 4 wheels and no need to balance is the ones that seem to be crashing. That and they think they don’t need a helmet. It is the stupid ones that get hurt. And unfortunately since I ride a quad I get put in that category often by people that don’t ride a quad. I have always ***** my helmet and I have never rolled it or any other quads I have owned.
The CVT transmission on my Renegade works great, it is really snappy off of idle. I can through a roost 10 feet high. 65 HP is a lot for a quad and the newer ones have even more. I think the 1000 is around 82 HP. I would really like to get it out to the dunes sometime.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

i would not say they are safer it can all kill you.
it is a dream of mine t build a ATC450R with inverted forks and at least 12'' of travel maybe irs who know yet but it'll be cool

Quick Reply: Oregon Dunes