Opps Dropped It... Clutch Switch Q?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Solder them together. A switch with the pin broken also creates the "will always crank" scenario. That's what maninthesea wants NOT to have on his GFs bike.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Ok I got lost somewhere in slapdrums write up. Is the switch normally open or closed? To remove the switch and bypass the whole thing do I need to solder the wires leading to the switch together, or cap them off? Thanks. Dan
Solder them together then send me the switch

Old 01-21-2011, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Solder them together. A switch with the pin broken also creates the "will always crank" scenario. That's what maninthesea wants NOT to have on his GFs bike.
Thanks, saves me the trial and error

maninthesea, I'm going to hang on to it for a while, and see if I'm idiot proof without it.
Dan

Old 07-11-2022, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, picked this up on another site. Poster claimed that "bridging" the switch opened up a second ignition map or setting. That the KLX250 EFI wouldn't rev much above 7500 rpms? My switch does not function, or permit me to start in gear by simply disengaging the clutch. So if I understand you are saying that this "bypass" negates a rpm limiter?

Old 07-12-2022, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

To remove the clutch switch is .... ludicous! It is there for a reason!

Old 07-12-2022, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trailrider3428
Ok, picked this up on another site. Poster claimed that "bridging" the switch opened up a second ignition map or setting. That the KLX250 EFI wouldn't rev much above 7500 rpms? My switch does not function, or permit me to start in gear by simply disengaging the clutch. So if I understand you are saying that this "bypass" negates a rpm limiter?
What country are you in? American 2018+ bikes don't even have this limiter to begin with, so there's no gain to be made or work to be done.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
To remove the clutch switch is .... ludicous! It is there for a reason!
I agree, I don't understand the appeal of removing the clutch switch, or for that matter the neutral safety switch as has been discussed on the forum recently. Seems a lot of KLX owners between those items plus the PAIR valve delete like to go through hoops for zero benefit just to say they tinkered on something.

To those concerned about breaking the switch at the clutch lever while off-road, well that's why wrap-around handguards exist.

There's no good reason to ever be able to start a bike in gear with the clutch lever fully released, so not sure why it's popular here to bypass the switch and then continue to bend or break clutch levers. Fix the problem right at the source - don't band-aid it and sacrifice a senseable safety feature.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, in America there is a switch on the clutch, and I assumed it was there to enable starting in gear. Most every bike I have has these, but I read that post, where bypassing it would give you some performance benefits. It didn't indicate whether it was for bikes destined for what country. I will pursue whatever route that allows me to be able to start the bike in gear. I don't need a switch to tell me that I need to disengage my clutch first or a little green light on the dash to tell me it's in neutral, most of the bikes I've ridden in the last 52 yrs had neither

Old 07-12-2022, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Everyone!!!
I got an update email... I forgot about this post. But I remember the incident.

I broke the little spring activated device in the clutch lever area.

Bottom line. I never did any repair or bypass nor did I buy the new $20 part.
But, the down side was it would "try" to start in gear if you didn't pull in the clutch.
I always pull in the clutch, So I didn't need a $20 part to help remind me.

After reading some bypass rev limiter stuff. I didn't remember any perks at all.

It was fun to think about my Kawi again. I switched to Team Husky.... lol
Ride safe!

Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Trailrider3428
Yep, in America there is a switch on the clutch, and I assumed it was there to enable starting in gear. Most every bike I have has these, but I read that post, where bypassing it would give you some performance benefits. It didn't indicate whether it was for bikes destined for what country. I will pursue whatever route that allows me to be able to start the bike in gear. I don't need a switch to tell me that I need to disengage my clutch first or a little green light on the dash to tell me it's in neutral, most of the bikes I've ridden in the last 52 yrs had neither
I'm not sure that you're clear on the safety switches and what they actually do. You can start the KLX in any gear you want - you just need to be pulling in the clutch lever while you're pressing the starter button. Exact same as it is for any manual transmission car.

Quick Reply: Opps Dropped It... Clutch Switch Q?