One more time - Which boots to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default One more time - Which boots to go with?

Okay, I finally sold my Thor Quadrants (I hated those boots - too hot for the desert, too little flexibility, too bulky for my size 11.5 foot). So here are my choices for dual sport riding (60% road - 40% dirt) - the Alpinestars Vector $250, Sidi Discovery $270 and AXO SR4 $130, they're all three buckle design and little shorter than full mx boots and rated more flexible than most (and I don't need waterproof boots in the desert) plus ankle and lower shin protection which I need in this environment (snakes, cactus, boulders, etc). Any feedback?

[IMG]local://upfiles/5289/A48A65A5CB7041DC9C4529974D7F6607.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: One more time - Which boots to go with?

No feedback on those but I love my Fox Offroad Trackers in a size 12, I wear a 10.5 shoe but these run small. My biggest gripe is that they AREN'T waterproof. I paid $140 or so from the local shop, probably cheaper online. Took a few weeks of wearing them around the yard to get them broke in but they are very comfy now, and I hate to ride w/out them. I wore them 3 days straight in NJ from 8 am to 7 pm in 90+ degree heat with high humidity. These are just below my knee in height and have a traditional workboot lug type sole, great for exploring off the bike! I wear them under my ride pants or over jeans and they are comfy either way.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I am sporting the Fox Tracker with the offroad lugged sole also. They feel very comfy to wear, but I am also finding out that they are not waterproof. A major draw back for riding in this area.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep bit of a drag up here as well but they aren't uncomfortable when wet either like a workboot is.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:11 AM

Those are all good looking boots! I haven't tried any of them out. I do have two pair of SIDI road boots and love them. My wife and daughter have the Alpinestars tech 6. they both think they are too stiff! It looks like those would have better movement for shifting than MX boots. My favorite boots for off road are an old pair of Frank Thomas street boots that are waterproof. They give me great protection and are much easier to shift and I feel like I have better control because of the freedom of movement.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

After reading the reviews and forumson the Vectors, I wish I would have bought a pair of those instead of my tech 6s. Ido like my tech 6s though. One guy said he bought the vectors about 4 years ago and hasn't touched his tech 8s since because of how comfortable they are.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have the Fox Trackers as well, good boot, I need to wear them more often.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the Alpinestars Vector's are suppose to be the tennis shoe of mx boots but still offer plenty of protection. The Fox Trackers (also an excellent boot), look a little more comfortable than my Thor Quadrants which were just too hot for the desert and it took forever to break them in - bulky boot, too many missed shifts. Of the three I picked, the Sidi's are rated the best of the three, but the most expensive, I couldn't find any info on the AXO's anywhere on the internet. I like the look of a lower profile boot, with only three buckles. I'm headed to the dealer who has the Vector's on sale for $200 - will see how they fit.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I got the Oxtar TCX Comp boot from an ebay vender http://stores.ebay.com/Helmet-Closeoutsforover $100 off of MSRP. It's a quality boot. I suspect that they may be related to (or the same as) the Scarpabrand - which makes high quality mountaineering boots. Sizes posted on the internet are US sizes but the boots are actually EU sizing. I have found US sizes are inconsistent, but a size 42 EU is always spot on. I'll only buy footwear online if I can get the EU size specified.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

mooredan, do your Oxtars run wide, medium or narrow?

Quick Reply: One more time - Which boots to go with?