One more 07 KLX on the road > Mod/Upgrade questions!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: One more 07 KLX on the road > Mod/Upgrade questions!?

Mudjunkie, yeah that was my bike, now DirtSurfer's. I can't remember the part number on the fender, but it is just Maier's KLX300 MX style fender. I cut down the sub-frame and reused the plastic subframe plugs. Just a simple bent piece of aluminum, one piece, following the inside contour of the subframe to hold the signals. Nice bike! Ran great. I miss her.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BikeAgain

Deej, could you tell me where you got the container on your rack, what kind of tires you are running and where you got that cool scissor lift. I like your bike setup.
Thanks in advance.. BikeAgain
Well first of all sorry I missed you sneaking in to the site, so a huge welcome from another Washingtonian Lets see... The case on the back is a Pelican model 1200, the tires in the above picture are the Kenda K-270, more of a 50/50 tire as opposed to the last one I had which was the Dunlop 606. I really want the 606 back, it did a lot better in the off road areas. I guess with tires you have to look at where you ride most and add in how often you will need either good traction off road or on the blacktop. I suppose really if you think about it its way more important not to slip in the blacktop as opposed to getting stuck on some trail where you can always find another way around.

I forgot what brand the lift is, but here is a link to a similar one that is 1/3 the price that I paid.[:@] Oh well. How's the weather over there in Moses Lake?[8D]

Bike lift link

Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to kf! congrats and enjoy!

Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Pimp my moto

Old 02-05-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

nobrakes,

Is that rear tail-light/brake light/liscence plate lightDOT approved..it's different than the one typeSH has which I believe is not DOT...that's the only thing keeping me from ordering the MX style fender is finding a liscence plate and tail/brake light that will pass inspections. Once I find a way forward with that, I will likely convert to the MX style fender..they just look so sleeeeeeeek.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I bought the Baja Designs tail light / license plate holder. But I was concerned about the brightness of the tail light. So what I did was go down to autozone and bought 5 12 LED high brightness red blinker/tail light replacement bulbs. I then removed the Baja Designs supplied light, then soldered up the 5 LED bulbs in parallel so they'll all light up making sure to appropriately wire the brake light function in there too. I then positioned the bulbs within the area where the old light was along with two white LEDs in the middle to illuminate the license plate. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the white LEDs so they shine only downward (required by NC DOT specs). After everything was in place, I got my hot glue gun and about 50 glue sticks , and went to work encapsulating them into a nice solid vibration proof clump. The hot glue has good translucency and dispersion to let the light out and make the overall result more visible than the Baja Designs light. The problem with most LED based bulbs is that they tend to be somewhat directional. If you view it directly it they are very bright, but once you move off to the side, it's not nearly as bright. But with 60 high brightness LEDs and the dispersive effect of the hot glue, I think it makes it nice and visible even in bright daylight and even when not viewed directly straight on.

So that's the deal with my tail light. It is unique - you won't find it in stores.

Brake light on:

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey nobrakes you forgot to add to not found in stores. "guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bite the kids or jump the neighbors dog." [8D]

Old 02-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh, and it passed inspection, too.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks Deej. Sorry for sneaking in on you.. I should have properly introduced myself to the forum. The weather in Moses Lake sucks right now. We have had snow since the day after Christmas. One can still ride the sand dunes here tho, even with a little snow on the ground. Anyway, I'm done lurking on the site andintend to participate now.Thanks againDeej.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll throw one more out at ya nobrakes,

what is that you have for a lens on there, it looks like a fabricated lens made of white translucent plastic such as seen in dome lites of cars.[:-]

Quick Reply: One more 07 KLX on the road > Mod/Upgrade questions!?