Oil leak '07 Klx

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Oil leak '07 Klx

Today I noticed some oil on the right side of my case. It seems to be coming from the case cover. Not enough to drip. I believe I'm out of Warranty so I will be fixing it myself. The leak is directly left of the oil filter housing from the cover that has KAWASAKI stamped on it and the clutch linkage goes through it. Is there an 'O' Ring or a gasket here and do I need to disconnect the linkage to get it on and off?

Thanks for any help,
Gerry

Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil leak '07 Klx

Just curious, what's your milage?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xerxes

Just curious, what's your milage?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

BAD NEWS!!!! It is the inner clutch cover. I am 100% sure of it. It is right in the crotch where the oil filter housing meets the inner clutch cover. I can actually see a hairline crack and can get it to stop by shoving a tiny wad of paper towel in the crotch. This also proves that the gaskets are not leaking. I am out of warranty by 2 weeks. My dealer told me that they would check it and call Kawasaki to see if they'll cover it. I hate the thought of them screwing with my bike for hours to figure out what I already know and then charging me for it. I am feeling mighty low right now. I took some pic's but my Battery died. I'll post later. I almost feel like pulling it off and paying someone to weld it.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn Gerry, that stinks. Don't know which is worse, the problem or being two weeks out of warranty.

Been trying to pay attention here to see what kind of problems crop up for our members. Most of the stuff I've come across is assembly related. Mismatched fork settings, poor bearing lubrication, etc. Yours is the first that sounds like suspect metallurgy. Let us know how this plays out... and best of luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Gerry, I bet you can replace that yourself. It is part number 14032-0059, COVER-CLUTCH,INNER and is $155.92 from www.RonAyers.com. You'll want to get the gaskets too. I think it should be a fairly straight-forward swap-out. Finger Mullet may have some advice on that because he was inside the right side cover with the kick starter install.

Personally, I would do it myself unless you have a dealer you can trust completely. Maybe let them do it if you find out that Kawi will cover it, but even then I would still consider doing it myself if I didn't trust the dealer.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Hey Gerry, I bet you can replace that yourself. It is part number 14032-0059, COVER-CLUTCH,INNER and is $155.92 from www.RonAyers.com. You'll want to get the gaskets too. I think it should be a fairly straight-forward swap-out. Finger Mullet may have some advice on that because he was inside the right side cover with the kick starter install.

Personally, I would do it myself unless you have a dealer you can trust completely. Maybe let them do it if you find out that Kawi will cover it, but even then I would still consider doing it myself if I didn't trust the dealer.

You think exactly like Me. I'm scared to bits to let them touch my Ride. I'll check with F.M. on the difficulty level. The Pictures of the parts diagram seem to show some bearings that may be pressed in. I was thinking that Kawi may ship a "complete Cover" (bearings & all) if they warranty it. Leave it to me to get the one cover that has a defect. I think the paint was holding back the oil and finally wore through on my Trip into Winston-Salem on Wednesday. I'll meet the Lead Technician on Monday and see if he seems competent enough to fix my Baby. If not, I'll tackle it myself. Thanks for the link, It's cheaper there than Bike Bandit has it.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Oil leak '

Ohhh not good.

I never dug that far into the klx.....here's a pic of that part still attached to the klx after I removed the clutch and before I started installing the kickstarter.

Hey Gerry is Brian correct that p/n 14032 is the one that is cracked???

EDIT LOL

Ok that Service Manual Diagram is all F'ed up...lol....the inner cover plate is NOT p/n 14032 that part goes on the left side..lol you had me good on that one Brian .... the parts diagram is a mirror image.....of the real thing. Let me get on the kawi website.

Gerry look at this pic....is this part the one that is cracked

Name:  DSC01023.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  126.1 KB

or is it the part that bolts to it?? Pic of said part with clutch cover plate attached.

Name:  DSC01034.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  98.2 KB

If the part that you need to fix is in the second pic but absent from the first pic you are golden because that is a cake repair .....post up.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's the diagram I went from:

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/48/Year/2007/ModelID/3026/Model/KLX250S/GroupID/75714/Group/Engine_Cover(s)(1/2)

Zoom in and you'll see the inner clutch cover is 14032A. Look that up in the table below and it corresponds to 14032-0059. The view in the diagram is a little odd, though, it's from the left side for the right side covers. ??? That plays hell with my dyslexia, so double check me.

Anyway, I hope that's all it is, especially if it's an easy fix, as you say.

BTW FM, check your PMs.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey NoBrakes check this out real quick I don't have much time ...... I reviewed a couple other websites and they all indicate the part you referenced is the part in the first pic.....where is the clutch cover part and the engine cover part that goes imbetween the the clutch cover and what the diagram says is the inner clutch cover.

The clutch cover is only like 6 inches in dia....the next part goes over the kickstarter hole, water pump etc and bolts to the first pic of the real thing that I posted.....I think kawi messed up on the diagram....never noticed before....or am I just missing it.

Quick Reply: Oil leak '07 Klx