OEM KLX300R header, mega bomb, or mega bomb knockoff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes the 351 and tm36-68 are amazing! I just got mine put together and this thing freakin RIPS! I ran the 351 with out the pumper carb for a bit, but it is just so much better with it. As far as exhaust, I bought a used full klx 300 exhaust system for $12 on ebay, picked up a custom end cap off ebay to make it look better as the stock doesn't look right with out it. With the butt plug removed and i believe no catalytic converter, i did get a performance gain and more grunt. The bike was a tad louder, but when a moderate amount of throttle was used it was as quit as stock. I like the ability to be loud so cars can hear me and the ability to be quite for when i....nevermind. I later bought a four strokes works free flowing header designed for the klx 300 which fits my klx 250 heat shield, and i wrapped the whole unit with exhaust tape for better heat insulation and supposed hp gains. Over all i am very happy with the set up as it looks stock, has the performance gains of any pipe, and didn't cost me nearly what a full fmf or other would have. it is also quieter.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Steve, your running the same set up I am. What needle jet, jet needle, pilot jet and air jet did you decide on? I'm dialing in my carb and want to see how it compares to yours.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

With kdx snorkel, high flow air filter, free flowing exhaust, and at about 200' asl, I'm using the stock 130 main, a 17.5 pilot, the 9EBY01-50 jet needle, the 568-P-4 needle jet, and the. 09 air jet. I have the clip on the third slot, the air/fuel screw turned out 2.5 turns, the hole on the pumper needle pointed directly at the jet needle. I honestly only took it for a quick spin last night but I could tell it was extremely RAD! I found this set up on this forum from mustang and a few others. I only needed to adjust the idle screw, everything else seems to be spot on. The bike starts much better now with just a little twist of the throttle, no need for choke! What are you running?

Last edited by SteveP; 05-15-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Your set up is identical to mine but im a touch higher in elevation. I initially started with the exact same carb set up and it ran well but was rich on the top end and lean when I cracked the throttle wide open from the idle. I went with the 127.5 main jet and 22.5 pilot and that helped. I still have a slight lean condition on the wide open throttle from idle indicated by a hesitation so I've ordered the 25 pilot jet and a P6 needle jet. Hopefully that will solve it.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey you two, best to do your tuning on Private Messaging.. We certainly do need verified TM36 setups - preferably ones that don't force such expensive performance components to suck through a snorkel/lid - even stockbores suffer power losses doing that..

Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you lowered your clip to the fourth of even fifth notch? Somebody else on here had the same set up with the clip on fourth, but with no snorkel on, which would make it a bit leaner. With our kdx snorkel (a smart choice) I opted for third clip, but may try the fourth for a bit more power if I need to. Have you made any adjustments with the clip yet? It would be nice to see how your experimenting goes for my own and other's benefits. Also, are you sure that the pumper is pointed in the proper direction? This could result in not enough fuel at throttle opening (lean condition)... Just a thought. And also how about the air/fuel screw?

Last edited by SteveP; 05-15-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveP
Have you lowered your clip to the fourth of even fifth notch? Somebody else on here had the same set up with the clip on fourth, but with no snorkel on, which would make it a bit leaner. With our kdx snorkel (a smart choice) I opted for third clip, but may try the fourth for a bit more power if I need to. Have you made any adjustments with the clip yet? It would be nice to see how your experimenting goes for my own and other's benefits. Also, are you sure that the pumper is pointed in the proper direction? This could result in not enough fuel at throttle opening (lean condition)... Just a thought. And also how about the air/fuel screw?
Im running the kdx snorkel. I did play with the needle in different positions and ran it on the fourth but found it too rich. My understanding is that you tune the needle jet first then the jet needle that why im going to the P6. I have played with the fuel screw and have the accel pump straying at the needle.

I'll PM you once I get my P6 and 25 pilot jet in and let you know the results. You don't have a slight bog on wide open throttle from idle? No load, just crack the throttle wide open in neutral.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey you two, best to do your tuning on Private Messaging.. We certainly do need verified TM36 setups - preferably ones that don't force such expensive performance components to suck through a snorkel/lid - even stockbores suffer power losses doing that..
x2. These posts would also be useful in the jetting thread. Can mods move them?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Well that's Deej, but I'm not sure he can read.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

This is the first run with a FMF Q4 slip on with 1 1/8" Quiet Core insert, KDX200 snorkel, K&N filter, and Dynojet kit (128 main). Bike runs much better now, so much that I can loft the front wheel with no clutch in 1st gear.

Quick Reply: OEM KLX300R header, mega bomb, or mega bomb knockoff?