OEM Handguard - Part # and Source

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Default OEM Handguard - Part # and Source

Can any of you folks with a service manual look up the part number for the OEM handguard? Also, can anyone suggest a source for this other than my local dealer? I have not checked Ron Ayers, etc. yet because I don't know the part #. I know they and other site are good sources for OEM components, but I do not know if that extend to trim components like this.

For anyone that might be interested, this handguard was my first casualty of war. I took the bike on a MX track last night. This was my first attempt at something like that. WOW! It was tons more fun (and more work) than I ever imagined. I had a blast but it was humbling watching all of the young guns just tear the place up while I putted around with my little green machine with the OEM exhuast on it (Muzzy en route - I've got a tracking number ). I was impressed, though, at how easily I got significant air. Good grief! The little KLX just launched my 230# butt off of hill after hill. I did gain an appreciation for what you folks have been talking about relative to suspension. I came down pretty hard a few time and really felt it. On my last run I hit my chin on the handlebars and bit my tongue pretty bad. I didn't bail, though. I held it together and got stopped. The take home message is that I definitely need to adjust the suspension on the bike.

Anyway, didn't mean to get into the whole story. Just got carried away.

Also, FWIW, I don't really want the OEM handguards. I just need to research the price of them so that I can show my wife that new bark busters (probably Tusk) won't be that much more expensive since I have to replace them anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OEM Handguard - Part # and Source

click parts diagram
i have the service manuals, but this site is easier to look up part #'s make sure it says klx250s and click parts diagram then u can get all the part #'s

59441-0002-290 COVER-HANDLE,LH,L.GREEN
59441-0001-290 COVER-HANDLE,RH,L.GREEN

Old 08-30-2006, 02:53 PM

EMS,

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed.

That's great to know that I can look up these part numbers directly. I always thought the diagrams, etc. that folks were posting were scanned out of their manuals. I see know that they are just copying the image from the kawasaki.com site. Great to know that.

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Shouldn't be too hard to show the expense of the OEM parts - those prices are outrageous. I told myself on some rainy Saturday I was going to enter in _all_ the parts from the diagrams into some place like RonAyers.com's part finder and see how much it would cost to build our bike from individual parts. I'm guessing 6 figures. [&:]

Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM

Brian,

If you decide to do your experiment I would suggest you don't tell anyone. That would definitely fall into the "too much time on your hand's" category. Actually, it would be more like the "you need to get a life" category.

I hear you on the expense of these parts, though. It's pretty rough. I just checked the handguard, though, and it's not too bad. Only 13 and change. I was hoping it would be more 'cause I want real bark busters to protect the clutch and brake levers - not to mention my hands. I may make a case for them either way.

I am going to search the forum for suggestions on good hand guards. If anyone sees this and wants to throw a suggestion my way, though, please do.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

cwgoff, your welcome

i bought 1 replacement stock handguard, then realized they are just gonna keep breaking, so i got the moose handguards, much better.. i have dropped it more than a few times with the moose handguards, nothing breaks or bends i love them.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
Actually, it would be more like the "you need to get a life" category.
No argument there

I hear you on the expense of these parts, though. It's pretty rough. I just checked the handguard, though, and it's not too bad. Only 13 and change. I was hoping it would be more 'cause I want real bark busters to protect the clutch and brake levers - not to mention my hands. I may make a case for them either way.
Don't just price the guards, price out a new clutch lever and brake lever also. But ... you might need a new handlebar to install the type that fit into the ends of the bars - the stock bars have some metal welded into the ends. One could probably do some grinding and some hammering to get that out, but it might mess up the bar in the process.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

everything on my handlebars are stock, and i mounted the moose handguards to it.. not too bad.. just some drilling

Old 08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

Can any of you folks with a service manual look up the part number for the OEM handguard? Also, can anyone suggest a source for this other than my local dealer? I have not checked Ron Ayers, etc. yet because I don't know the part #. I know they and other site are good sources for OEM components, but I do not know if that extend to trim components like this.

For anyone that might be interested, this handguard was my first casualty of war. I took the bike on a MX track last night. This was my first attempt at something like that. WOW! It was tons more fun (and more work) than I ever imagined. I had a blast but it was humbling watching all of the young guns just tear the place up while I putted around with my little green machine with the OEM exhuast on it (Muzzy en route - I've got a tracking number ). I was impressed, though, at how easily I got significant air. Good grief! The little KLX just launched my 230# butt off of hill after hill. I did gain an appreciation for what you folks have been talking about relative to suspension. I came down pretty hard a few time and really felt it. On my last run I hit my chin on the handlebars and bit my tongue pretty bad. I didn't bail, though. I held it together and got stopped. The take home message is that I definitely need to adjust the suspension on the bike.

Anyway, didn't mean to get into the whole story. Just got carried away.

Also, FWIW, I don't really want the OEM handguards. I just need to research the price of them so that I can show my wife that new bark busters (probably Tusk) won't be that much more expensive since I have to replace them anyway.

Thanks for the help.

You need to get these: http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGro...roupID=4002724

Name:  100_5143.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  144.2 KB

Also the folding mirrors are great for tight trails.
Name:  Mirrorsdownsmall.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  119.3 KB

Old 08-30-2006, 06:51 PM

EMS,

Are those your Moose handguards in your avatar pic? I just want to see if the Moose green matches the Kawa green pretty well. I would think they would get it pretty right, but don't want to find out the hard way that they used the same color matcher that speced out the green for the Acerbis tank.

Thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: OEM Handguard - Part # and Source