Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: OEM Handguard - Part # and Source

yea these are the moose handguards....heres another pic

Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 PM

Looks good, EMS. I am now into seek and purchase mode. You or anyone else have a suggestion for where to get a good deal on them? I am about to check the usual online outlets, but if someone knows a site that happens to be having a sale on Moose guards, please let me know.

Thanks all.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im not sure where mine came from, my wife actually ordered them for me... not even sure how much they were.. haha.. sorry bro, i can ask her later...

Old 09-08-2006, 12:56 PM

EMS,

Were you able to mount the Moose guards onto the OEM bar. I saw in some other posts where it looked like you were considering cutting down the Moose guards to avoid the conflict with the cross-bar weld. Did you end up having to do that?

As it turns out, I need to replace my bars anyway because I messed them up during the Moose installation, but I want to know how you or others handled the problem of the Moose mounting point being right at a critical bend on the bar.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well on aftermarket bars that dont have that other piece of metal connecting both sides of the bars for support, with out that i think the moose handguards would work alot better, it looks like they would just go right on... but with the stock bars and the piece of metal welded right where u need to mount that part of the handguard... i just moved the handguard mount up a little bit and re drilled the hole at the end of the aluminum piece, so with out that piece in there it looks like they would work better, if you dont understand that let me know ...lol... ill try to explain more.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 PM

EMS,

I think I got it. I have noticed, though, that at least a lot of the Renthals do have that cross-bar piece. From the pics that I have seen, it looks like it is clamped on instead of welded on, but I would imagine that if they have it on there, it probably needs to stay on there. There might be some wiggle room with it, though.

Keep in mind that all of this is just from looking through some pics last night and this morning. I have not actually held one in my hand yet, so I might be thinking of this wrong. Thanks for the advice, though. I may find that I have to modify the Moose guard to squeeze everything onto the bar that I am needing.

Chris

Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i have seen some rental bars at the dealer and the moose bars... they dont have the crossbar in them.... the ones i have seen. I like moose stuff, so ill probably get the moose bars when i get new ones.. but for now mine are working, i got to stop spending money on this bike or my wife is gonna kill me... lol... but i have to get it looked at anyway, the motor is ticking real bad around 4500 rpm's and i just finished checking the valve clearances yesterday... so to the shop i go.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:33 PM

Thanks, EMS. Good luck at the shop. I hope it's nothing serious.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea me too...

Old 09-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Did you check for a leak around the exhaust header as bmwhd suggested? I hope it is something simple, buddy.

Quick Reply: OEM Handguard - Part # and Source