No New 2011 KLX250's, only 2011 KLR

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
I don't get what you mean by poopy. Its a nice little bike for a really good price. Perhaps some one poopey in your oatmeal today?

DUDE! I laughed so hard I almost coughed up a lung on that one. Hahahahahahahaha AWESOME!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
He's (Feral) right, and the problem is not just Kawasaki. All the manufacturers are selling some pretty lame dual sport, and trail bikes at full price, and the KLX is one of the better ones.

It astounds me that they've been able to get away with it for so long. This is why I like the Chinese bikes so much. It's only a matter of time before the Japanese have real competition, and they'll be forced to step it up.
Your call on the majority of Japanese dual sports is dead right. With the exception of perhaps the KLX250, WR250R, and DR400, most of those other so-called DS bikes are downright pathetic. If we were comparing these bikes to cars, it would be like still trying to market a 1975 Buick LeSabre against a late model Cadillac CTS. The Japanese know how to design and build up-to-date and very competent motorcycles of every kind. They just don't generally believe there's a market for a high quality DS bike. It's a shame, really.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Your automotive analogy is precisely what I was thinking when I typed that.

If you want to laugh, look at the CRF 230, and compare it to an 80's XR200.

Same bike, same market, but the 30 yr old XR is a FAR better bike than the CRF, so they're selling less bike for more money.
That's Japanese progress

Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Wow lot of hatin on the KLX in this thread. I mean that's ok, but for the majority of us who ride this bike everyday with the few mods we did early on, it's FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! And as far as the hard starting of the bike, how hard is is to remember to shut off the gas and run a little out? Yes we have been over this a million times and yes we shouldn't have to do that. But you know what like is full of "we shouldn't have to's" but we adapt and accept and move on. I will never, I repeat never complain about the KLX, and furthermore I will never sell it. The history with me and this bike is way to strong to ever part with it. Oh and this forum is good too.. LOL

Like has been mentioned in the past, if you were accustomed to a lot of power...ie: a two stroke or a 450 trail bike, then yes the KLX will be less power, HELLO!!!! That's the facts. But if you are like me and a few hundred other guys on this and other sites that bought the bike to get back into riding and exploring like you did when you were a kid then the KLX in my opinion is the perfect combination of a great all around bike. Finally if anyone hates something and complains about it, then how about getting rid of the bike and getting something that you like, I mean who wants to be that unhappy with something you spent so much money on? I mean really?
I'm not unhappy with my purchase. There have been a few moments while fitting a TM33 carb where I let loose a few 4 letter words. And the first time I changed my oil and the oil filter spring wouldn't stay where it's supposed to, even though they've been making KLRs without that problem for the last 20 years. Those are my only 2 times I've been really pissed at Kawasaki. I think all of us are the same way. We understand the shortcomings and we deal with them. They are an awesome bike. The point I'm trying to get across is Kawasaki screwed up with that kind of stuff because regular people who buy these things have the typical problems and probably very few of them come to internet forums to learn how to deal with it. Instead they do a few laps to the dealer. Then after the wallet stops bleeding they sell it and get a DRZ or whatever. Then they go tell all their friends "Don't buy one of those pieces of poop."

You know how many guys have a negative attitude towards my new KLX? About 90%. I have to make a sales pitch of "No. really. it's not a piece of crap. Once you take the EPA crap off and put a pipe and a decent carb on there, it's a pretty decent little bike." It takes some convincing. Most people out there already have their minds made up to stay away from it.

Sorry, I don't mean to point out that Elvis is a false prophet and the Easter Bunny is a superstition so you guys don't get all Jihad on me. Like most Engineers, the engineers at Kawasaki need their regular scheduled beatings. Keeps them on their toes.

Last edited by Feral Donkey; 10-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
You know how many guys have a negative attitude towards my new KLX? About 90%. I have to make a sales pitch of "No. really. it's not a piece of crap. Once you take the EPA crap off and put a pipe and a decent carb on there, it's a pretty decent little bike." It takes some convincing. Most people out there already have their minds made up to stay away from it.
So really, it's the fact that they have to be compliant in California that causes the problems...From what I've heard, once the bike doen't meet CA specs, it rocks.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Feral, are you insinuating that the Easter Bunny isn't real?...you a-hole.

zomby, it makes no sense that they had the XR250L, dropped it, and have a 230L to replace it. Though the 250L's tech is 80's vintage, the 230L is absolutely prehistoric. I swear they've found fossil records of this engine going back to the Triassic period.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

My older sister had a honda CB125 in the 70s. I was a little fella then and thought it was a cool bike. I liked the seating position and the way it was laid out. When I went looking for a smaller bike to run errands with. I went to honda first. Then I went to kawl suz dealer. What a difference. Water cooled, digital dash, inverted forks. NICE BIG brakes. Adjustable front and rear suspension. Close to the same money. It was a no brainer. I returned to the honda dealer for a windshield. Even the salesman admitted I had a better bike for the money.

I don't think there is much call for these bikes compared to sport bikes, so maybe that is part of it. I sure like mine.

David
Over and out.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no regrets about my KLX. I moved to a county with 1700+ miles of legal forest system roads and a history of street riding only. The KLX was my first experience of "go anywhere" highway/county road/dirt road/trail riding and it has been an adventure. The KLX is easy to work on, low maintainance, and dead reliable.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Very pleased

I'm liking my '09 after putting 400 miles on it. It feels very small and nimble after the KLR. If you want a hauls ***** machine off the floor buy a KTM. You'll spend more on service and oil changes. You get what you pay for. Most bikes these days are great the way you buy them. This one takes me back to the early Honda days, trail 110's and my first one a 160 scrambler. I had a lot of fun then and am having fun with the KLX now, not to serious, just fun!!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
I don't get what you mean by poopy. Its a nice little bike for a really good price. Perhaps some one poopey in your oatmeal today?

Sarcasm never comes across the internet very well it seems.

Quick Reply: No New 2011 KLX250's, only 2011 KLR