No ifs, ands or butts about it.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Like Deej I just stand on the pegs a lot.
I get sore from sitting for long periods of time, period, doesn't mater how comfy the seat is. The nice thing about the KLX style of bike is that you can ride standing up comfortably. Having ridden other types of street bikes that have super comfortable seats, but don't allow you to ride standing up comfortably, I can attest that being able to stand up, or even do squats while riding, allows me to ride for longer periods of time and not get a sore back or butt.
I do a fair bit of mountain biking too, not much to the seats on those things. If I forced myself to sit the whole time I was riding on my mountain bike I'd be a cripple by the time I got off. (and probably impotent too)

If you are still getting a sore butt after adding all that padding, try just standing more frequently while you ride.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 PM

I have a seatconcepts seat . I is the low version and is hard but it is still much better than the OEM seat. I have a Rick Mayers seat on a tw200 it is the best for comfort. I often ride my KLX up to 160 miles in a day.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

The Suzuki DR650 undoubtedly has the worst stock seat ever built...and I found the Seat Concepts offering to be only a minor improvement.

Then I found out about these: Sweet Cheeks | Cycle Analyst

Old 03-31-2015, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I bit the bullet and got the Sargent seat and my *** loves it. Worth every penny. I went from only being able to ride 10 miles before I had to stop to being able to ride for hours now.

Attached Thumbnails No ifs, ands or butts about it.....-dsc_0094-001.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I did some mods on the stock seat to make it wider, but haven't had a chance to take a longish ride to see how it works.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Qwazert
The Suzuki DR650 undoubtedly has the worst stock seat ever built...and I found the Seat Concepts offering to be only a minor improvement.

Then I found out about these: Sweet Cheeks | Cycle Analyst
I like them Sweet Cheeks.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano
I did some mods on the stock seat to make it wider, but haven't had a chance to take a longish ride to see how it works.
In the next week or so I'm going to be widening my stock seat. Would like to see pictures or a description of what you did and how you did it.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2015, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
In the next week or so I'm going to be widening my stock seat. Would like to see pictures or a description of what you did and how you did it.

Thanks
If you look at another of my threads -- "My KLX mutila.....errr, modifications" -- you will see a pic of what I did. Basically I just cut down a section of the foam in the actual seating area, which then allowed me to add some layers of padding which wrapped AROUND the sides to make it wider. The limiting factor in this is the OEM seat cover which must be able to wrap under the pan for stapling, so that is why I had to cut some of the foam out.

I wanted to use carpet backing foam rubber for the layering of new padding but Home Depot only sells it in big rolls. So instead I used -- you may not believe this -- high density bubble wrap. Not the kind you can pop with your fingers (although that might have worked, too) but a much more sturdy kind.
It's firmer than the OEM foam which was removed, but having had rock-hard Corbin seats on several bikes in the past I think firm is OK if the weight is distributed enough.

We'll see. The nice thing about DIY seat mods is that you can keep experimenting until 1) you get it right; or 2) you give up and order a Seat Concepts kit.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano

We'll see. The nice thing about DIY seat mods is that you can keep experimenting until 1) you get it right; or 2) you give up and order a Seat Concepts kit.
Thanks, the quote kind of a summarizes the potential last step in my plan, too.

The first steps involve making the seat wider and then (I talked to a local upholstery shop) adding strips along the side of the OEM cover so that it can be re-stapled.

Last edited by oldgypsy; 04-01-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldgypsy
Thanks, the quote kind of a summarizes the potential last step in my plan, too.

The first steps involve making the seat wider and then (I talked to a local upholstery shop) adding strips along the side of the OEM cover so that it can be re-stapled.
If you are going to involve an upholstery shop you might as well have them make up an entirely new cover.