Newbie Needs Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Newbie Needs Help!!

Hi Guys/Gals

My name is Ken, I just purchaced my new KLX250. and I need some advice on "break-in". How many of you follow the instructions given in the owners manual. I am asking this because I am finding it really hard to stay under 4000rpm. The last bike I owned was a 1981 Yamaha SECA 650 and that was 15yrsago. I had Honda XR's growing up and do not remember Breaking them in?? I purchaced this bike Mostly for Offroad and Transportation to work. It will Take me forever to do the 1600km"Break-in" any advice would be appreciated!!

Ken Walters

Old 04-19-2007, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Newbie Needs Help!!

I wouldn't worry to much about the recommended break in period. Personally, all of my bikes have gonethrough the rapid break in method. Just remember that the first oil change is the most important.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Ken, welcome to the site. As far as the break in, I did it using the Mototune way, and it has to be done in the first 20 miles or something like that. But I really think that just following good common sense will work, after all its been working for all those bike owners for the past 30 years. Here is the link to what I am referring to,http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm but really as long as you don't red line the bike you'll probably be OK. Again welcome and have fun, oh and tell us a little about yourself, you know what do you do for work, where do you live, you know the basics. Later man.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

hi & welcome to the forum!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

This was a big question for me also. I tried to keep it under the 4000rpms when I first starting riding it but it's really almost inpossible. If you have to pull out into traffic, chances are you will be over the 4K. And at 55MPH, it's at about 5K. After reading a bunch from this forum and talking to a bunch of bike people, I gave up on it. I now have almost 250 miles on it and it's seen 7000rpms a few times. I did check out the mototune site but I already hadover a 100 miles on it.And have done an oil change also.

Warren
07 KLX 250S

Old 04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

The Mototune method is actually a theory that has been around for quite some time. I have followed a close variationof it for years and like him, I have had no known side effects.
I put 950 miles on my KLX before tearing it down for the big bore conversion. The cylinder walls and piston look great. No scoring or signs of uneven wear. No oil consumption either. The most important part of break-in is to vary engine speed with emphasis on decel. Keep clean oil in the bike and don't let it get hot. A good example of what NOT to do would be to get on the bike when new and ride it on an extended trip at steady highway speeds. At any steady speed, actually. Just ride it and enjoy it and you'll be fine. If you are breaking it in off road, be sure to keep the air filter clean and don't let it idle for long periods.

Enjoy your new bike!

Shadetree
Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
Kustom Kraft 331, Luke's Racing Headwork, Web Cams and Bill Blue TM 34

Old 04-19-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice Guys, deej thanks for the link to mototunes breakin secrets great Information!! Since I am new to the forum I will introduce myself My name is Ken Walters I live in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada. I work for a company called Trans Peace Construction. We specialize in Pipe insulating / oilfield buildings & Utilidor. I am the Shop Forman for the Manufacturing Division. I Have One Real Hobby that I an Serious about Is Nitro 1/8 Scale R/C as well 1/5 scale R/C, And Now I finally Bought My Bike and I couldent Be happier.

Ken

Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Again welcome from up north. Sounds like a good job.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome, Ken!

Looks like you're the second R/C fanatic in the group ... this should make for some interesting thread high-jacks! I can hardly wait!!! (Are exhaust systems topics of heated debates in the R/C world? I hope not!!![sm=lol.gif])

Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I used a hard break in and I am happy with the result.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Help!!