new suspension springs and height

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new suspension springs and height

did the swap with moto-pro....awesome guys!!!! just have a quick question about adjusting the heighth...I'm now on my tippy toes and before I was almost flat footed..did I compress the rear spring too much or not enough? also just wanted to thank you guys for detailing these mods w/pics and such..it helps guys like me that work onmany different gas burning forms of tranportation.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new suspension springs and height

It should compress through roughly 1/3 of travel when you sit on it (feet on the pegs--get a helper).

Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

KLXer is right.
Set the rear sag by first measuring the clearance between the top of the rear tire and fender with the bike on a stand (no weight on rear at all) then take the bike off the stand and mount it (fully dressed in gear, both feet on pegs) I place the bike near a wall and use my hand/arm to balance while a helper takes another measurement, in the KLX'x case you want the rear to compress 3.25 to 3.5 inches from where it was fully extended. if it compresses less then 3.25" you'll need to loosen (uncompress) the spring with by twisting the ring adjuster the easy way, if it compresses more then that then you'll want to tighten the spring by twisting it the harder way.

Once you get the sag set then you want to make sure that you have a little (not too much) unloaded sag, to check this get off the bike and measure the sag, it should be about 3/4", if there is less than this you may have too heavy a spring.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks guys, i knew i'd get some great advice!!!! After talking with moto-pro we did decide to get a bit heavier of a spring for my riding style. grew up riding 125's and 250's and have always just delt with tippy toes but after riding the klx it was awesome not to deal with it, I just couldn't stand the bottoming out. if it's back to tippy toes so be it....thanks again!!!!!