New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle

Hi Mike,
You explanation of the concerns posted so far seem reasonable to me. As far as additional holes I don't particularily care one way or the other. With a hole saw us guys, (and gals) can create a plate uniquely our own! And the clamp mounts at that top location only also seem OK. I would probably cut some strips of rubber to prevent metal to metal contact. Next Up!

Thanks for listening,

Matt

Old 10-27-2006, 03:56 AM

As I have already said, I like the prototype a lot and I would gladly pay the expected $70ish or $80ish to get it. With that said, I do like the other design suggested by YYY.guy a lot as well. If I could pick, I would bias more toward the YYY.guy suggestion mainly because it just looks tougher. Not "tougher" like it works better - "tougher" like macho. Let's admit it - it matters. [8D]

For what it is worth, chalk me up to the "drain plug hole only - not swiss cheese" camp.

Anyway, either of the two designs suggested are better than anything else on the market, so I am just going to sit back and let this cool process work and then buy one of whatever comes out of it. I am sure I will like it.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 AM

I think that I would like a smooth plate. Less holes = less weeds packed in there. The 70ish price sounds good also.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Mike,
If it fits the KLX250 it should also fit the KLX300 right? Build us a great plate at the price point that seems to be agreeable ($75.00ish) and I am sure word will spread pretty darn quick. A lot of people here, also participate in other forums.
Thanks for the quick R&D: I think the proto-type is looking good. How soon till production do you think?

Old 10-27-2006, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: utahsportcycle

The photo that is posted of the plate with cutouts for those pesky welded on loops is an interesting idea. However, the problem i see with that design is i think you could easily catch your foot on the ear of the plate when trying to brake which for obvious liability issues we always make sure that there's no chance that could happen. I really enjoy getting imidiate feedback on my work so keep it coming.

-Mike
Hi Mike,

First may I say absolutly first class work getting yourself involved with owners in the design phase, more companies need to do the same.
I just wanted to add my 2c worth I have a CRD bash plate which the guys liked, reports here and here It has the wings and cutouts that go over "those pesky welded on loops". I have never caught my foot on the plate when braking or any other time. If you want I could take more pix which show how much room there is between the plate and the brake lever.
Having said that I understand it would use more material and add complexity and therefore drive up the price. Seeing as I will not be buying a plate off you I have no stake in this but felt you may want some feedback. Also I imagine even though CRD are no longer producing the plate there may be some copyright problem as well. Good luck with the design, once again good job!!! Of course that also goes for Dave and Chris who instigated the whole thing [8D]

Old 10-27-2006, 01:53 PM

>>>> LIST OF CONFIRMED BUYERS MOVED TO END OF THREAD AGAIN <<<<

Old 10-27-2006, 05:12 PM

Mike,

I was looking over MavAus's CRD plate pics again this morning, and I noticed something that might help on the issue of the contact with the weld on the bottom of the frame. I don't pretend to know much about this, but I figure you can take it or leave it.

It looks to me that the bottom portion of the CRD plate does not contact the frame at all (except for the mount points of course). It looks like the plate extends at an angle from the back mount point and goes below the bottom of the frame before making the bend that takes it parallel to the ground. It then extends forward and bends again to start to follow the angle of the bike. I can't quite tell if it follows the bike directly up or if it leaves a similar gap in the forward section.

If this were done with just a little gap below the bottom of the frame, I would think you could avoid the weld and also minimize contact points that might result in rattling. One question I have is how to handle the middle mount point. The more I think about it, I would think that the point where the plate needs to angle up could follow the line of the bike more closely and contact the bike at the bottom and top of the front angled portion.

Here is an extremely crude sketch of what I think might be going on.

Sketch with front portion contacting frame
Name:  SkidPlate2.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  17.1 KB

Sketch with gap between front portion of plate and frame
Name:  SkidPlate.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  18.2 KB

Anyway, like I said, take it or leave it. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that i've been playing around with some different designs today to see what i can improve. Thanks again for all you feedback, it is definatly appreciated. Once i get something that i feel happy with i'll post some more photos, although it may not be until monday.

-Mike

Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem, Mike ... the appreciation goes both ways!!! [sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Mike (S.)

Old 10-28-2006, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Mike,
Thanks for the update. I'm sure that I am not the only one on the edge of my seat here.

Matt

Quick Reply: New Skid Plate from Utah Sport Cycle