New owner of 2010 KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got some new exhaust gaskets on order. I think I will try to make sure the exhaust is sealed tight before I go any further. Maybe I should just spring for a header while I'm at it... Which one? Then I won't be tempted to go back to stock like a *****...lol

Old 06-14-2018, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Many say you can rotate the carb while it is still on the bike, but I was never coordinated enough to do it... so I pull it to work on it.

As for exhaust gaskets... I think the usual culprit is a leak where the header pipe meets the slip-on. (I could have misinterpreted that from reading other's posts).

You are correct... lidless is the entire lid.... sounds like you just have the snorkel removed which is a classic stage 2 setup for the 128 DJ main. (swapping for KDX snorkel seems to have the same effect)

FMF Powercore is said to be a pretty loud pipe. If you want less overall noise, you get pick up a 1 3/8 core which is probably stock on the Q4, or if you look around, there is also a 1 1/8 core available now and again (don't think it would effect decel pop, but make it quieter overall)

Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

If your boot is missing - the one between the carb and airbox - and the PO did this on purpose, you could have a big problem..

Old 06-15-2018, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Why yes, KLXter, yes I do want them to be happy with it if they want to be.

Why should they chase their tail thinking something is wrong? I guess you like chasing your tail, right? --------Blah blah blah-----------------. If it makes you feel the bigger man, go ahead and do so. I will learn to take it in stride, since it clearly is part of your nature.
You need lessons in "taking it in stride" - cause you really suk at it..

Nut'in but love bro..

Old 06-15-2018, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
If your boot is missing - the one between the carb and airbox - and the PO did this on purpose, you could have a big problem..
No, just the snorkel. The drawings refer to that as Intake Duct.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Junker,

Just as a point of reference, I have DJ, Stage II, the snorkle removed, pilot screw out about 21/2, and the stock exhaust. Bike starts well and runs like a top, but maybe not as much power as an aftermarket exhaust. The snorkle removal does make for a little more noise, but I think I'm the only one that notices it. As for power, I'm an old geezer and its good enough for me.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Junker
oh, I know. I just find it annoying in excess. My dynojet tune on my Harley had it. I switched to an FP3 and it went away with no discernible loss to me. I do enjoy a bit, but not this much.
So you make sure the pilot jetting and idle adjust is right to make sure all te crackle is the normal stuff, not being too lean. Then do what those who don't like the crackle will do - go richer on the pilot jet and, I think, you readjust the idle mix again. I don't know for sure, since I don't try to tune it out. I"m sure someone has said something about it... or will. Plus as noted in the Dyno Jet video, the air suction system - aka pollution crap - may be contributing if you still have it on the bike. Take it off and plug the appropriate holes on the carb (vacuum line), air box, and at the reed block above the exhaust port on the head. Might make it better.

This subject has come up in the ADVrider site too. A car guy who has a KLX popped in and said the overrun thing is in most all car racing and he and his buddies kinda like it. Pointed out the Mercedes sedan that is raced is like king of the crackle.

Last edited by klx678; 06-19-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
You need lessons in "taking it in stride" - cause you really suk at it..

Nut'in but love bro..
Why, thank you for your standard pleasantries. I do feel sorry for those near you who experience all your love.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Junker
snip....

EDIT: Just noticed I'm missing the intake duct (part 14073) on the airbox. I guess he was trying to flow more air...

We often call that the "snorkel." No biggie that its gone. Going "lidless" means you won't have the snorkel since it is inserted into the lid. Some of us keep the lid and replace the stock snorkel with a KDX200 or 220 snorkel (about 1995-2006) because it is a little larger and should therefore flow more air. Some of us keep the intake stock, adjust the carb, and get fantastic dual-sporting gas-sipping fuel economy. Some of us think their way is the ONLY way, that maximum top-end power is of utmost importance, and everyone else is full of sheite. Welcome to KF, stick around, enjoy the ride, be safe out there, and don't take anyone's opinion too seriously!!!

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-19-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
why, thank you for your standard pleasantries. I do feel sorry for those near you who experience all your love.
NO KIDDING!!!!

He reminds me much of the Muffler King. (you'll have to dig back deep to read some of that tripe)

Perhaps he shall be named "CVK King" . . . . .