New owner 09 KLX250SF Is my jetting right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Default New owner 09 KLX250SF Is my jetting right?

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a little while. This is my first bike and have been riding since the beginning of summer. I fell in love with the looks and function of the sumo bikes and after looking around for a while I decided on the KLX. I put about 150 miles on it and decided I wanted it louder and faster.

I ordered an FMF PC4 slip on and a dynojet jet kit along with the koubalink fuel screw. Changing everything out was pretty straight forward. I changed the jets out to Dynojets specs with the clip on the 3rd slot in the needle and the 128 main jet. The bike pulls great, starts well, and it stopped it's hard starting issue. I live in New Jersey about 5 minutes from the beach so I don't think I can get closer to being at sea level.

The reason I ask if it is too much fuel is because on decel you can hear some popping. Not quite a loud backfire but more of a gurgle. I read in another thread that could indicate the bike being lean? Or could it just be the nature of the beast with a freeflowing muffler? I just read another thread about plug readings not being accurate so I am curious to know the best way to find out. It could also be my overactive mind and I should leave it alone as it runs well so why fix it.

Also rather then start another post when you change the oil do you guys check the fill level while it's hot or cold?

Sorry for the long post just wanted to introduce myself to the forums and mention what cool little bikes these are I couldn't be happier with it, just wish there was a bigger aftermarket.
Thanks!

Last edited by destro; 07-29-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by destro
The reason I ask if it is too much fuel is because on decel you can hear some popping....

Also rather then start another post when you change the oil do you guys check the fill level while it's hot or cold?
I don't think you'll ever get rid of the decel popping on a carb bike. If you have done it to Dynojet specs with the PC4 pipe, your bike is like mine and should be fine.

On the oil, I check it when it's up to running temp, but after it's had about 5 minutes to settle on-the-level.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, popping on decel is normal. I'm running the 132 and 40 jets with no air box lid, and I get the popping, but its not hurting anything, and if it gets annoying, just touch the throttle slightly and its gone.

Yes as mentioned by Arctra mentioned, check the oil after running for a few minutes, then hold the bike up level and read it in the glass. I like the oil to be almost to the top of the glass. Post up some pictures of where you ride and the bike and give is a more detailed intro in the "New Members" area.