A new look (and another bike)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Any spray on bed liner should do the job fine.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
I decide the gloss black wasn't such a great choice for a bike that sees offroad use. So I switched to textured black satin (using Duplicolor spray-on bedliner).

I'm very happy with the results:

And I had to drop by the dealership to pick up an ATV that was in for service, and look what followed me home (for my wife):

Since its been 10 months since you did the awesome mud, hows it holding up?
Reason I'm asking I'm planning to paint my black plastics green.
How about after a great day at the trails. How easy iss it to wash off mud and dirt. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richox
I think this is the best looking KLX I've yet seen. I really want to emulate this look!

I have no longstanding interest in Kawsaki's so am happy to ditch the traditional green for this understated look. I think it looks much more appropriate on the street as well, where I do 50% of my riding.

Only problem is I live in Western Australia and the particular product (Duplicolour bedliner) is not available here, only a very limited range of other Duplicolour basic paints. Also - I know very little about paints.

Does anyone have any advice for any other brands or products that would provide an identical finish? Maybe every paint supplier has some products that would do the same, I'm not sure if this Duplicolour is unique or of particularly high quality?
Thanks, I'm really happy with the look! As far as the bedliner paint, there are other similar products, and likely any of them would work just as well. The main reason I chose Duplicolor is that it is sold in just about every auto parts store here in the US, so it is easy to find a can to touch it up.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Since its been 10 months since you did the awesome mud, hows it holding up?
Reason I'm asking I'm planning to paint my black plastics green.
How about after a great day at the trails. How easy iss it to wash off mud and dirt. Thanks.
It is holding up great, and very easy to clean. Just car wash soap and water, and it looks like new again. As far as durability, I think prep is the key. I scuffed all of my plastic thoroughly with a sanding pad before painting, and got a really good bond with the paint.

Later I decided to paint my handguards to match, and didn't bother to sand them first, just washed them, let dry, and hit with the paint. About a month after painting them, I dropped the bike, and the only place the paint chipped was on the handguards.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

This picture was taken about a month ago, so 9 months after the paint job:

Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the look of it like that - all "murdered" out

I think you need to hit the swingarm, and maybe some high-temp paint on the motor too - go all out! haha

I'm curious - is your off-roading in tight areas with a lot of branch scrapes and going through bushes and stuff? Or is it wider track with not much hitting your bike? I like that look and would consider doing it since my plastics currently look like garbage.. But I'm afraid it wouldn't take the North East bush-wackin single track too kindly..

Last edited by CousinLarry; 06-09-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
This picture was taken about a month ago, so 9 months after the paint job:

Thanks. Will go your route but in green once my leg heals. Might be a couple of months. ride safe.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a hitman's bike.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I like the look of it like that - all "murdered" out

I think you need to hit the swingarm, and maybe some high-temp paint on the motor too - go all out! haha

I'm curious - is your off-roading in tight areas with a lot of branch scrapes and going through bushes and stuff? Or is it wider track with not much hitting your bike? I like that look and would consider doing it since my plastics currently look like garbage.. But I'm afraid it wouldn't take the North East bush-wackin single track too kindly..
Some brush, but mostly wider track. Mine was gloss black to start with, so when it does get scratched, the color underneath is still black. This paint is way more forgiving to scratches than the factory finish was, and it is very easy to touch up when you get a major scrape.