A new look (and another bike)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the stealth look. I have painted my side panels twice so far with gloss black.

Your paint matches the seat perfect.

David

Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Thanks everyone!

Yes it is thicker and heavier than regular paint, but not really that much. I used a little over one can (bought 2, the 2nd is almost full), and did two coats on everything. A full can weighs about a lb, and at least half that weight is the can and propellant, so I doubt I've added more than half a pound to my bike.

The prep was to sand the shine off the plastic, wash with dish soap to remove any armor-all or wax residue, let dry and spray. Wait about an hour and spray again.

Since the panels were all removed, no taping was required, so it was a pretty easy job.

Cool. Good to know.

Looking at the bike again, I REALLY like it. Might be a project for me in the not-so-distant future.

Thanks again for the post and picture.

EDIT:

What specific product did you use?

I see they have BAA2010 or TR250. Those are Duplicolor's product numbers.

Thanks!

Last edited by 407guy; 08-21-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 407guy
What specific product did you use?

I see they have BAA2010 or TR250. Those are Duplicolor's product numbers.

Thanks!
I used the TR250, the 1 lb 0.5 oz size, labeled Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating.

If you are starting with black panels and they are not heavily scratched, one can would probably do it. I had to coat mine fairly heavily to cover up the deeper scratches, and used part of a second can.

If you are changing color, you might use more. I think if I were changing color, I'd do a base coat of Krylon Fusion in black satin first, especially for places like the underside of the fender that will take rock hits. I didn't coat the back side of any of my panels since they were black already.

Be careful not to get the can too close to the surface you are painting, and check the nozzle for drips forming on it (if you don't notice the buildup, it will splurt a blob of paint all at once. Just keep a rag handy and wipe the nozzle clean every once in a while.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I took the bike up to my son's house today and went riding with him. He has the same bike in green, and after seeing mine, he is tempted to do the same thing as well. Sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story, but this looks just as good (if not better) in person as in the pictures...

Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

excellent...great idea...i was thinking about going with a matte black with lot of flex mixed in...but, this actually appears to be more durable, since it's a bed liner paint....

Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good but your forgot your fork guards.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cegusman
Looks good but your forgot your fork guards.
Yeah I noticed that yesterday. Gonna have to pull them off and give them a quick spray...

Old 08-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow!!! I like what you did to the bike, and is that the 230 Honda for the wife? Just make sure she doesn't loser her confidence to ride like mine did....

Old 08-23-2011, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Wow!!! I like what you did to the bike, and is that the 230 Honda for the wife? Just make sure she doesn't loser her confidence to ride like mine did....
I'm starting her out very slowly, because I don't want that to happen. She may never attempt more than easy gravel roads and pavement, and that is okay with me.

And yes it is a 230

Old 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I think this is the best looking KLX I've yet seen. I really want to emulate this look!

I have no longstanding interest in Kawsaki's so am happy to ditch the traditional green for this understated look. I think it looks much more appropriate on the street as well, where I do 50% of my riding.

Only problem is I live in Western Australia and the particular product (Duplicolour bedliner) is not available here, only a very limited range of other Duplicolour basic paints. Also - I know very little about paints.

Does anyone have any advice for any other brands or products that would provide an identical finish? Maybe every paint supplier has some products that would do the same, I'm not sure if this Duplicolour is unique or of particularly high quality?

Quick Reply: A new look (and another bike)