Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   new klx250s owner (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/new-klx250s-owner-29534/)

roadglider 07-28-2009 12:36 PM

The bike "feels" light because of the lack of power. It's not really light especially for a 250cc. It does however handle really well in technical single track. It turns on a dime and the soft suspension really makes riding through rocks, and tree roots easy. If the bike feels slow for a 250 then it's probably because you were used to riding 250 two strokes. Even the full moto 4 stroke 250's aren't that fast, if your used to a 450 that is. The good news is there is this guy named Bill Blue I'm sure he'll be happy to help you out.

deej 07-28-2009 02:46 PM

Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the forums. Remember this is not the same as when you were a kid....first of all you were a lot lighter. LOL But seriously, pipe and jet that bad boy, and get a set of 13-45 sprockets. ;) And no you are not the only one disappointed. I bet the ratio is about 30% disappointment. I however am in the 100% happy percentile. I guess I'm just easy going and don't expect too much. That's why I hang out here.:D

scottma978 07-28-2009 10:54 PM

thanks for the warm welcome guys. I will definately try the pipe and jet kit and a few mods just for grins. Then I can always go to the big bore kit later if this doesn't get me where I want to be. Are the jet kits easy to do?..I have always done a lot of wrenching on everything I own...but have never really dove into carburetor work...for some reason it always scared me...lol and can I do the airbox mod before rejetting or will I run to lean? thanks in advance! scott

deej 07-28-2009 11:33 PM

The air box mod is to take the lid off and place it on a shelf. ;)

scottma978 07-29-2009 12:13 AM

yep...that I understood...just wondering if that will create a lean condition. Just wondering of I have to re-jet first oram I also set with jetting till I install a high flow filter?.. thanks

neilaction 07-29-2009 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by scottma978 (Post 387057)
yep...that I understood...just wondering if that will create a lean condition. Just wondering of I have to re-jet first oram I also set with jetting till I install a high flow filter?.. thanks

They are lean out of the box so a re-jet would be wise.
But the lid on its own won't make a big difference without other mods to make her breath better and a re-jet is an important part of that process.

And IMO, a bit rich is better that a bit lean.

scottma978 07-29-2009 12:38 AM

yep...a bit rich is definately better...pistons hate lean settings...lol ! I have a harley davidson street glide...fuel injected, with a ton of goodies...So much easier...I hook my laptop to the power commander...change any setting I want. ya donlt even get your hands dirty...lol

slippery750 07-29-2009 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by scottma978 (Post 387072)
yep...a bit rich is definately better...pistons hate lean settings...lol ! I have a harley davidson street glide...fuel injected, with a ton of goodies...So much easier...I hook my laptop to the power commander...change any setting I want. ya donlt even get your hands dirty...lol

I think your on the wrong forum! :confused:

scottma978 07-29-2009 12:58 AM

naa....I like anything on two..or four wheels for that matter! I have owned my harley for the last two years and I wouldn't want to give it up, but before that streetbike wise, I owned an 04 ZRx 1200, and about 6 mid 80's GPz 1100's. I have always been a kawasaki fan...just been a long time since I owned or even ridden a dirt bike and I thought the klx looked like a fun way to jump back in!...now I just need more power...lol
I am going to order a full system, jet kit and filter tomorrow. hope every thing gets here quick.

slippery750 07-29-2009 01:20 AM

Sweet, at least you plan on spending some money, I have been. Got over a thousand in it so far and have not had it a month yet!. Power Bomb, Two Brothers slip on, Dynojet kit, Edge fender eliminator, led turn signals and flasher, (soon to come custom Led high intensity tail/brake light), Hid 10,000k, Pro Tapers, pillow top grips, Accerbis hand guards, Nomadic cycle rack, No-toil filter. More to come too...